Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Daring Fireball confirms the leaked MacBook Pro photos from earlier this evening and adds some intriguing details about the new notebook.

Specifically, Gruber confirms that the new MacBook Pros will have "buttonless" trackpad which is made of glass. However, it appears the entire trackpad is one large button:
The new trackpad is similar to the Air’s, in that it is bigger and supports additional multi-touch gestures. But unlike the Air’s, the MacBook Pro’s new trackpad is made of glass, and is a button itself. You just press and it clicks.
In addition, he confirms what some have suspected -- that the new MacBook Pro is not available in matte-finish, only glossy. There will be no new 17" MacBook Pro immediately available, and it's unclear when/if it will be revised. The existing 17" model will still remain on sale.

Gruber also confirms that regular MacBooks will be revised and that Engadget's footnote is wrong. The MacBook will contain the same buttonless trackpad and similar case design as the new MacBook Pros. MacBook Airs will be updated with a larger 120GB hard drive and larger 128GB SSD option.

CPU speeds are expected to remain about he same, however, the MacBooks will benefit improved graphics performance with built in NVIDIA 9400M GPUs. MacBook Pros will also contain a dedicated 9600M GT GPU, which should provide a large performance benefit as we've previously detailed.

Finally, Gruber addresses the pricing confusion from today. Apple apparently will only be offering two new MacBook configurations

- $1299: 2.0 GHz, 2 GB memory, 160 GB disk
- $1499: 2.4 GHz, 2 GB memory, 250 GB disk

The existing $1099 2.1GHz MacBook model will apparently remain to fill a $999 price slot but will not have the advantages of the new machines. Gruber was the first to accurately predict the October 14th announcement date for the new Apple notebooks.

Article Link

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
What a let down! Pro with glossy display only, questionable want factor. I need to see and try it in person, of course, but as it stands my money stays put.

LoveCrusader

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Macbooks more expensive than before and with a weaker processor ??? hahaha, and with no firewire ports. YAY . No Matte for "Pro" users. YAY Awesome work Apple

SAMTATSICPRO

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I agree! This will be a lousy update... at least less than what I was expecting.. I really want to get a new 17'' but if its not good tomorrow... forget it!

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
lol, this must be crazy for you arn, thanks for doing this

Meh, im still buying the MBP

To be HONEST
I'd prefer the older one by a 2% margin (mainly bbecause of matte) but id rather have the new one so i can be super cool and show it off

whos with me?

elvispunk

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
I can't believe they're keeping the old white MBs and that they still cost a grand. Who will buy that? Boooooo!

ts1973

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2002
Belgium
COMBO drived!

I seriously doubt that at this price point.

Interesting points here though. Thins the line between macbooks and the pro line too. Even I'm getting excited now ;)

I am a little concerned about the glossy displays though. Not convinced, would have to look at one "in person" to see if I can live with it.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Oh, great. Let's cater to the lowest common denominator consumer, yet still call the thing "pro". No matte screen? Sheesh!! Come on!!

To be HONEST
I'd prefer the older one by a 2% margin (mainly bbecause of matte) but id rather have the new one so i can be super cool and show it off

whos with me?

Not me. I don't buy computers to "show off". I buy computers to get work (and play) done.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
If this is true , what a sloppy update. Apple will have a lot of loose ends out there.

Agreed. The notebook line will look unusually messy if all of this pans out. And then there's that 24" display...

Interested to see where apple is going with all this.

strikeinsilence

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2006
Eek about the glossy screens. I'm into everything but the gloss and the bezel. I'm gonna end up buying it anyways though, I need the power!

elvispunk

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
Don't know anything about multiple GPUs...Can anyone tell me their opinion on whether it would be worth the extra dough?

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
I hope the glass is frosted and has some texture that makes it easy to slide across the surface, especially with this click mechanism. A click and drag operation could be hard to accomplish on a glossy glass surface.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I almost dont believe this. I defiantly dont think that the MBP's speed will remain the same.

We will defiantly see a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo Option.... This is a Pro Machine.... Im all on board if these MBPs have a 2.8GHz in there....

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
now we watch people frantically neg this for glossy only screens... :D

I did. It's a consumer feature, only wanted for an end user watching movies, not exactly a pro feature for people using their computer to actually create contents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.