Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weeman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2007
Orange County, CA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Maybe I missed it but is this going to be available via software update for the 1st gen MacBook Air?

weeman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2007
Orange County, CA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I know the new airs are getting it but are the 1st gens going to be getting it also?

oookye

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
answer from steve himself. (or one of his minions)

Nope, sorry. Its an entirely different trackpad design.

Steve

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Wonder why they didn't introduce the new glass trackpad then.

By the way... Do the MacBook Airs (last gen. obviously as the new hasn't shipped yet) have this functionality where you tap on the trackpad itself (not the button), to click? Some PC notebooks have this...

O. Frabjous-Dey

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2006

By the way... Do the MacBook Airs (last gen. obviously as the new hasn't shipped yet) have this functionality where you tap on the trackpad itself (not the button), to click? Some PC notebooks have this...

Yeah, it's in the OS X Preferences. There's some other goodies in there two, such as two-finger scrolling.

oookye

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006

Yes you can tap to click in the current air, but the new trackpads in the new Macbooks and Macbook pros both have a real button. The trackpad itself can be clicked...

Check out one of the demo videos.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Alright, thanks everyone. Don't have any Apple notebook right now, so I couldn't check out trackpad-related functionality in system preferences.

I know about the physical "button" in the new trackpads and wish the Air had the same. The physical button on the MBA feels a bit small to me after having tried out one in the store / at a friend's. I have never been a fan of this "tap to click" but haven't really tried that in years, so I'll have another look into that.

Seeing there is an alternative somewhat dispels my biggest doubt about the Air. So thanks again.

i.tec

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
So... Is the latest macbook air getting the glass trackpad with the new multi touch features...

or...

same trackpad with new multi-touch features....

or...

the same trackpad and touch features as the first Macbook air...?

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I know about the physical "button" in the new trackpads and wish the Air had the same. The physical button on the MBA feels a bit small to me after having tried out one in the store / at a friend's. I have never been a fan of this "tap to click" but haven't really tried that in years, so I'll have another look into that...

Definitely noticed the difference in the size of the physical button on my MBA in comparison to my MB/MBP, and it just took some getting use to since it's a bit slimmer than my MB/MBP. In the beginning, I kept missing the button...:eek:

Lyrrad

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
It seems so, but why would the four-finger gestures not be available for earlier Airs, if it's the same touchpad? Maybe we should ask Apple exactly this?

From my experience in the area, my best guess is that the tracking part is built into the firmware of the trackpad itself. The raw calculations for tracking are too difficult to be done by the CPU (or would be too unresponsive), so they are done in the firmware. It's likely difficult/impossible to update the trackpad firmware.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
From my experience in the area, my best guess is that the tracking part is built into the firmware of the trackpad itself. The raw calculations for tracking are too difficult to be done by the CPU (or would be too unresponsive), so they are done in the firmware. It's likely difficult/impossible to update the trackpad firmware.

I didn't know that, but if it's so with Air, it makes sense. What about touchpads in some laptops, that would work with both XP and Vista, but scrolling is only available in Vista? Is it the matter of drivers working with firmware?

Lyrrad

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
I didn't know that, but if it's so with Air, it makes sense. What about touchpads in some laptops, that would work with both XP and Vista, but scrolling is only available in Vista? Is it the matter of drivers working with firmware?

I'd assume that that's a driver issue.

My guess is that with 1 finger, the track pads is fairly accurate in plotting the location of the finger. With two fingers, some can do rotation/distance/direction calcuations. With 3-4 only direction can be done.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I would be shocked if this is not updated for the last gen MBA/MBP that had the iphone parts in the trackpad, e-mail or no.

I have been waiting for Apple to get going with the fingerworks commands for years, and if I missed the boat by adopting the first version of the MBA, I am going to be furious. Hopefully these features get unlocked...

EDIT: With the iphone guts in the trackpad, there should be plenty of upgrades available. If Apple does not provide them, I am sure someone will. My MBA can tell if I am swiping with four fingers, because the 3 finger commands do not work. I think it would be a simple update to incorporate the four finger gestures. I hope this is coming.

ViperrepiV

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
answer from steve himself. (or one of his minions)

Nope, sorry. Its an entirely different trackpad design.

Steve

that is such a crock of ****. The MBA has the iPhone trackpad, which can register four inputs at once. Serious Boo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.