Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Given all this flashy glossy glassy black-trimmed design coming out of Ive's office lately, replacing the simple and elegant designs of previous gens, can we expect the Mac Pro to move to ugly street as well in January?

Witness the death of the white iMac and the new little brother ACD 24" joining the original and gorgeous ACDs. Does this all point to a Mac Pro dressed up like a streetwalker for a debut in 2009?

I, for one, am expecting a major redesign, and not one that I would welcome.

strikeinsilence

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2006
Does this all point to a Mac Pro dressed up like a streetwalker for a debut in 2009?

Ha! I definitely feel you on this one. I'm thinking about picking up the current model, even though it's been around for a bit. I still love the design, outside and inside, and it would be so much faster than what I have now. I just can't see the black, Al contrast working well for the MP, and it seems like it's inevitable that it will reflect the new products they just introduced.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I hope not, as I just can't imagine adding black to silver would look better. :eek:
Leave the industrial look alone Apple. :p

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I think it's more likely to move to Power House, than Ugly Drive...
If you're comparing the new MBPs with Dells - seriously, have a decent look at the design. Ive's worked his RSS off on these. They have a lot of subtle but useful improvements in design.

bwilliams18

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
I doubt they will update the outside because Black and Aluminum only looks good against a moniter but i bet that the Cenimia displays will be Black and Aluminum.

Fast Shadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2004
Hollywood, CA
If Apple keeps going on their current path (a gadget 'lifestyle brand' company) then I would more expect the Pro apps to be dropped or sold off and the Mac Pro to be discontinued. But cherry iPods will abound.

strikeinsilence

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2006
If Apple keeps going on their current path (a gadget 'lifestyle brand' company) then I would more expect the Pro apps to be dropped or sold off and the Mac Pro to be discontinued. But cherry iPods will abound.

Dramatic much? Apple might have confused its pro customers with this notebook update, but they've worked for years (and continue to) to get their pro apps used recognized by pros as some of the best out there. They wouldn't just throw that away after all that work.

SimD

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
I for one hope they keep the ACDs grey/alu... I need the neutral bezel..

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
Just watch, first they're going to reduce hard drive limit from 4 HD's to one SSD, then push their NEW storage medium to the "cloud", and calling it "Mobile Pro" which will be the same thing as mobile me but more expensive. Of course this isn't going to happen till late 2009 because apple says that server processors take to much power so they are going to use new mobile nehalem processors, making the mac pro "greener". but don't worry because it will have nVidia's NEW integrated graphics which has a mini-display port and is only capatible their NEW 33" LED ultra mirror ACD, which when not power is actually a mirror, but don't worry here either because they can push enough light through it that it puts the SUN to shame, it would be just like looking at the sun. They will also have to reduce the size of the mac pro to a 1" thick by 5" tall and 8" in depth slate that can fit anywhere, of course they will have to remove all of the ports except for two USB 2's because that's the only port people need, and say goodbye to the superdrive because it's a dying format and apple now offers DVD backups for download from SOME software companies for only $50 a year, and if you need to make a DVD movie, you can upload your Final Cut Studio movie to Apple and they make it then send it to you much like buying photo books from aperture or iPhoto, but don't worry because you can even design the DVD box, their consumers would love it!!!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Apple should leave the Mac Pro exactly as it is and has been for the past decade. Handles, front, back, and side door.

Anyone that thinks there needs to be a redesign needs to be shot, including anyone at Apple.

If there is a redesign, make it so that there are more stuff in the inside.

Make it like the HP Blackbird 002 and I will be very very happy.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
i simply adore the cheese grater look despite it being out for awhile now. The thing is, with good industrial design, some things look timeless.

I would prefer if Apple just made some changes to the insides rather than the overall look.

I think when you have reached a certain level of design perfection, it is hard to top it, and so you sorta go backwards or in a completely different direction like the current macbooks, macbook pros whose technology wise is a great improvement what with the easily replaceable hard drive in the battery compartment.

The black and glass however, does not work. It's fine on the iMacs but on the notebooks, seems a little too much, too gaudy.

But and this is my prediction. If indeed Apple redesigns the ACDs for the mac pro like the current LED ACD, then we'll definitely see some black on the mac pro. Apple afterall is all about matching things. :eek: disappointing i know.

All the new ACD needed was, 1. LED backlit if affordable, 2. an iSight, 3. better cable/powerbrick management.

It would be perfect then. The whole black border, glass thing, doesn't look good. in fact, i prefer the neutral aluminium color as it never interferes with my work on the screen.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Just watch, first they're going to reduce hard drive limit from 4 HD's to one SSD, then push their NEW storage medium to the "cloud", and calling it "Mobile Pro" which will be the same thing as mobile me but more expensive. Of course this isn't going to happen till late 2009 because apple says that server processors take to much power so they are going to use new mobile nehalem processors, making the mac pro "greener". but don't worry because it will have nVidia's NEW integrated graphics which has a mini-display port and is only capatible their NEW 33" LED ultra mirror ACD, which when not power is actually a mirror, but don't worry here either because they can push enough light through it that it puts the SUN to shame, it would be just like looking at the sun. They will also have to reduce the size of the mac pro to a 1" thick by 5" tall and 8" in depth slate that can fit anywhere, of course they will have to remove all of the ports except for two USB 2's because that's the only port people need, and say goodbye to the superdrive because it's a dying format and apple now offers DVD backups for download from SOME software companies for only $50 a year, and if you need to make a DVD movie, you can upload your Final Cut Studio movie to Apple and they make it then send it to you much like buying photo books from aperture or iPhoto, but don't worry because you can even design the DVD box, their consumers would love it!!!

It's scary just how plausible some of these predictions actually seem right now. :(

strikeinsilence

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2006

Brilliant! I'm with everyone else on the timelessness of the current design. I really hope they don't screw it up.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Apple should leave the Mac Pro exactly as it is and has been for the past decade. Handles, front, back, and side door.

Anyone that thinks there needs to be a redesign needs to be shot, including anyone at Apple.

If there is a redesign, make it so that there are more stuff in the inside.

Make it like the HP Blackbird 002 and I will be very very happy.
Put that gut away! :eek: :p
I want the internals redone, but the exterior should be left well enough alone.
Apple, are you listening? More drive bays! :D :D

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
i am all for more parts in the mac pro. five drive bays and complete toolless entry are at the top of my list.

wirelessly posted from HTCTOUCH via Opera Mobile full web browser.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
i am all for more parts in the mac pro. five drive bays and complete toolless entry are at the top of my list.

wirelessly posted from HTCTOUCH via Opera Mobile full web browser. [/size=1]

Needs 8 hot swap bays, maybe a means to install another 4/5. Four 5.25" bays would do, as you have 1 for optical, and use the other 3 for a drive cage. :eek:
RAID needs space. :p

Tool less case isn't a bad idea either. ;)

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Needs 8 hot swap bays, maybe a means to install another 4/5. Four 5.25" bays would do, as you have 1 for optical, and use the other 3 for a drive cage. :eek:
RAID needs space. :p

Tool less case isn't a bad idea either. ;)

8 bays, that's pushing it..The Mac Pro is already HUGE.

Maybe this will suit your needs...http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2746&RequestTimeOut=500

What a nightmare it would be if Apple dropped pro apps and became a candy computer/mp3 player/phone company.

It's not like I'd take my Mac Pro and chuck it out a window, I'd probably slowly transition to Windows...on my Mac Pro.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
8 bays, that's pushing it..The Mac Pro is already HUGE.
As far as drive bays, it's not too much to ask for. The increase in size won't be as bad as you may think. To give you an idea, take a look at Lian Li server cases. About 3" deeper. Not much considering the gain, as to use external solutions (RAID enclosures) are fairly expensive. An EnhanceBox 8MS is around $550USD, to hold 8 HDD's. Then you add cabling, and a 4 port internal to external adapter for another $300. All on top of the HDD's needed. Ouch!

Remember, Apple markets the Mac Pro as a workstation. To me, this means it should have the ability to hold more than 4 HDD's internally without resorting to some expensive and exotic solution. MaxUpgrade, and a few others come to mind. ;)
I've seen it. ;) It only holds 2.5" HDD's though, and currently aren't the best option. :( The best price/performance unit that has an adequate MTBF, is the Velociraptor, and it won't even fit. Transintl is working on a model that will hold a pair of these, but it's not out yet. Nor are they inexpensive. :rolleyes:
//End of rant. :p
It's not like I'd take my Mac Pro and chuck it out a window, I'd probably slowly transition to Windows...on my Mac Pro.
That's been my intention from the beginning. :eek: The software I need just isn't available for OS X. Nor do I think this will change anytime soon. :(
Dual boot works for other stuff though. :)

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2008
OK, if Apple is really going to make all those drastic changes, then there's only one thing to do: GET 'EM BEFORE THEY'RE GONE!!! C'mon, folks! Hurry!! If anyone wants to send me a maxed-out Mac Pro, then please do. Send me a message to my inbox so we can exchange contact information. :D

I wonder: How well would Mac OS X run on one of these?

http://www.pssclabs.com/products_powerstation.asp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.