Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
Ok, so I ordered a MBP on Tuesday. I sometimes hook up my laptop to my plasma and watch movies etc. Has anybody been able to hook up their laptops to their HDMI TVs? I see that there are a couple of different adapters out there but will these also send out audio to the TV?

rhyx

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Ok, so I ordered a MBP on Tuesday. I sometimes hook up my laptop to my plasma and watch movies etc. Has anybody been able to hook up their laptops to their HDMI TVs? I see that there are a couple of different adapters out there but will these also send out audio to the TV?

Video works fine using DVI to HDMI adapters or cables. Obviously you will need to first have the minidisplayport to DVI cable from apple. Audio will not since DisplayPort only passes video.

For audio you will probably want to use mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK (optical) on your receiver if you have one. This is a digital connections that will send the best audio. The mini-TOSLINK plugs into your headphone miniplug hole.

Alternatively you could just use a regular miniplug to RCA cable and plug that directly into your TV.

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
Actually DisplayPort transfers video, audio and data. It just depends on whether Apple built it into Mini-DisplayPort.

Oh, so it's not a regular displayport? Damn, thx for that bit of info. I was about to try out an adapter. Anyway, I haven't seen a mini displayport to HDMI converter, are there any out there?

Firanide

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007
Canadia
Oh, so it's not a regular displayport? Damn, thx for that bit of info. I was about to try out an adapter. Anyway, I haven't seen a mini displayport to HDMI converter, are there any out there?

I haven't seen any yet. :(

I don't imagine it will be too long before we see one hit the market (whether it's Apple that puts it out or not). Here's a comparison of Mini-DP to DP:

Mini-DisplayPort:
800px-Kobushi-mini-dvi.jpg

DisplayPort:
displayport.jpg

PuckDaddy

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2008
or there could just be an HDMI port ..... not that they're huge or anything
(yes,yes,yes theoretical resolution limits,)

all these adapter to turnarounds to reducers and such has to think that interference could become a problem

why the :mad: can't we all just get one friggin unified port, for video AND audio ? not that it necessarily has to be HDMI
but for the majority of MBP owners who also have high end LCD's (or plasmas with cautions) might want to connect their shiny new laptops to their shiny displays .. with a singularity, not a collection of a half dozen unique and harder to find cabling

sorry for the soapbox

Firanide

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007
Canadia
will it effectively pass all to HDMI ?

Provided Apple implemented it in their Mini-DisplayPort, and someone provides the correct adaptor cable, yes. Unfortunately (as to my knowledge), no one has actually tested it yet, because...well, there are no Mini-DP to HDMI adaptors to test with.

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
I did a little more thorough search online and nope, no mini displayport to hdmi yet. It'll probably take a month or two for manufacturers to get something out in the market.:mad: They could have even used a regular displayport

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
to get it up on your tv, use the mini displayort to dvi cable from apple, then get a hdmi-dvi cable to connect to your tv..

then connect both cables together and voila.. it should work :)

CoolMacDude

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Actually DisplayPort transfers video, audio and data. It just depends on whether Apple built it into Mini-DisplayPort.

The mini-displayport definitely does Audio. The new Apple Cinema display has speakers and only 3 connectors. The connectors are magsafe power, usb, and display port. So the display port has to be channeling the sound from the computer to the monitor since it has speakers.

PuckDaddy

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2008
to get it up on your tv, use the mini displayort to dvi cable from apple, then get a hdmi-dvi cable to connect to your tv..

exactly what I mean to avoid

seems more efficient just to run a long HDMI able to your Mini-DP port dongle

how 'bout an HDMI Express Card ?

JadedRaverLA

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2008
Not to derail the OPs topic but this is somewhat related:

I've been debating getting a new MBP even though Apple ticked me off not including Blu-ray. I can get a notebook BD drive and put it in a small enclosure so that it's still "somewhat portable," for when I travel. But my BIG concern at this point is that I've seen NOTHING regarding Apple's implementation of HDCP in the new notebooks. DP supports HDCP, but doesn't seem to require it (as HDMI does). The fact that they've released mini-DP to DVI and VGA adapters but NOT mini-DP to normal DP or HDMI adapters has me a bit concerned.

I want to pick up my notebook tomorrow, but I'd like to have this resolved if possible ahead of time, so as not to risk a 10% return fee. If anyone out there has a new MB or MBP and has already installed bootcamp and either XP or Vista, you would be doing me a huge favor downloading the Cyberlink Advisor which does a quick system check for Blu-ray playback. It's a very small utility, and the link goes directly to the company's webpage, so no viruses, etc. Obviously, an MBP will fail the test as there's no actual Blu-ray drive, but I (and likely others) want to know if it passes the HDCP test -- meaning Apple included the necessary hardware (should be, as it's included in the Nvidia chipset) as well as HDCP-enabled drivers (not so sure). Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to do the test.

BTW, as for the OP, DP supports audio and video and there are DP-to-HDMI adapters that support both audio and video. But it depends on the way Apple implemented displayport on the machines. Since there's no mini-DP to HDMI or mini-DP to DP adapter yet, there's really no way to know if Apple has audio supported through the port. But you can DEFINITELY use the mini-DP to DVI adapter, then use a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter into your TV, though you'd need to send the audio separately. A slightly more elegant solution is to get a DVI+optical audio to HDMI adapter (these are larger than the more simple video-only adapters) and the requisite cables. These will do everything you want, but they aren't as cheap or nearly as simple as a proper mini-DP to HDMI adapter would be.

Firanide

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007
Canadia

Yeah that works well unless you...y'know...want audio or anything. Since DVI doesn't transfer audio, it'll all be lost in the Mini-DP to DVI switchover. And therein lies the problem. One of the biggest draws of HDMI/DP is that they can transfer audio and video all in one cable.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA

Nope, won't work. The DVI in the midle can't do audio. You will have to wait for a miniDisplayPort-HDMI cable if that ever comes out.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
The mini-displayport definitely does Audio. The new Apple Cinema display has speakers and only 3 connectors. The connectors are magsafe power, usb, and display port. So the display port has to be channeling the sound from the computer to the monitor since it has speakers.
Not necessarily. It is quite possible that they send audio over the USB interface, just as in some older Macs.

CoolMacDude

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Nope, won't work. The DVI in the midle can't do audio. You will have to wait for a miniDisplayPort-HDMI cable if that ever comes out.

That depends on the DVI adapter. Some of them have a DVI in and an audio in. You would plug the audio in from audio out on the side of the laptop. You would have two cables coming out of laptop going into HDMI.

There are some of those adapters out there. I have a regular Monster DVI-HDMI which does not but I also have another brand that does audio.

Its not acutally the DVI supporting the audio but the second section that accepts the audio allows it to go into the same HDMI cable.

CoolMacDude

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Not necessarily. It is quite possible that they send audio over the USB interface, just as in some older Macs.

No its not through the USB. They had one hooked up at the apple store with no usb attached and the sound worked.

CoolMacDude

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
OK, point taken.

Your right and I'm wrong. I evidently overlooked the usb. The apple website says:

On the back of the display, you’ll find three self-powered USB ports. You enable them — along with the built-in iSight camera, microphone, and speakers — the moment you plug the USB connector into your new MacBook. Connect a printer, camera, iPod, iPhone, whatever you like. And they can stay connected, so you can just grab your MacBook and go.

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2008

Yes, it should. DisplayPort is basically HDMI for computer monitors, in the sense that it carries both the video and audio signal in one cable. However, the purpose of a HDMI-like connection for a display is lost on me since pretty much all of the high-end displays including the 20, 23 and 30-inch Apple Cinemas don't have integrated speakers. No integrated speakers means no need for an audio signal, right? :confused: At any rate, I definitely would NOT want integrated speakers, ughhhh. :eek:

Just as a side note, I'm baffled by two things: There's no HDMI on the new MacBooks, and no eSATA. There's a pile-of-s!@# HP laptop for sale at Wal-Mart for $798 that has both of those. Not that I currently need eSATA, but I'm sure zillions of other users do. :apple:

Nightrain

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2003
I can confirm that DisplayPort to HDMI is working with a mini DisplayPort-->DVI adapter and a DVI-->HDMI cable. I'm running that into a Monoprice 4x2 HDMI switcher, and then out to a projector and LCD TV (both via HDMI).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.