Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iconsumer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Just a random thought here. We've seen the patent pictures of the possible "iMac"-like docking station, and with the new macbook / pro peripheral configuration on the left, optical drive on the right... does anyone think that Apple may seriously be moving towards creating this imac-like dock?

I mean, as is, it's almost set up to just slide right into a docking station such as that.. the only discrepancy would be the differences in the current generations book vs. pro's peripheral lay out, and of course over-all size. Something that might be adjusted for in the future.

I'm not saying with this current generation of Macbooks / pro's, but Apple is always creating technology that slowly shifts down the line, and into the future, to create better products.

For instance, they obviously were testing out the aluminum milling process on the desktop keyboard before moving on to the air, and then moving onto the current line of macbooks.

It seems if we pull from information on their patents, and the direction they are heading with the current designs, then there definitely might be the real possibility of this imac-like docking station in the future.

- - -

Another thought is... what about a Macbook / pro, who's screen could be removed and used as a tablet, but when in "tablet mode", it would work off a more iPhone-like processor such that you'd use it mainly to browse the net, write emails, read books, etc. Then just return it back to the laptop for recharging and full-function computer use. :cool:

- - -

Gotta love :apple:

lwongveros

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2007
Just a random thought here. We've seen the patent pictures of the possible "iMac"-like docking station, and with the new macbook / pro peripheral configuration on the left, optical drive on the right... does anyone think that Apple may seriously be moving towards creating this imac-like dock?

I mean, as is, it's almost set up to just slide right into a docking station such as that.. the only discrepancy would be the differences in the current generations book vs. pro's peripheral lay out, and of course over-all size. Something that might be adjusted for in the future.

I'm not saying with this current generation of Macbooks / pro's, but Apple is always creating technology that slowly shifts down the line, and into the future, to create better products.

For instance, they obviously were testing out the aluminum milling process on the desktop keyboard before moving on to the air, and then moving onto the current line of macbooks.

It seems if we pull from information on their patents, and the direction they are heading with the current designs, then there definitely might be the real possibility of this imac-like docking station in the future.

- - -

Another thought is... what about a Macbook / pro, who's screen could be removed and used as a tablet, but when in "tablet mode", it would work off a more iPhone-like processor such that you'd use it mainly to browse the net, write emails, read books, etc. Then just return it back to the laptop for recharging and full-function computer use. :cool:

- - -

Gotta love :apple:

Admittedly the whole future dock sounds enticing, and it crossed my mind too as I'm sure it did for others. However at least for now, it seems apparent that Apple's "solution" to this is the new Cinema Display - now you have the Eyesight camera, mic, speakers, power, USB hub all taken care of through those 3 cables. Nice monitor, but for the price and the awkward cable dongling from it, it's not ideal...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I don't think so either.

I like the new display a lot. And I really would love a new MacBook - had wanted an Air but now that they dropped the weight 1/2 a pound and went Aluminum, I would rather have the specs and cheaper price. And I do really like the setup of the new display with magsafe built in as it means you don't need a power cable on your desk. But for me, I have an iMac and the MacBook would be a 2nd computer. I really can't see myself having a portable as my main machine - for media considerations - I run all my iTunes streaming through Apple TV for 600GB of movies and music, so my iMac servers that. But that setup - MB or MBP and new Cinema is a nice look.

iconsumer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Yeah.. I was really surprised to see them release something so inelegant as to have a bunch of wires hanging out the back. It just seemed so "un-apple", and more like a quick and easy fix until they come up with a better solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.