Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 31, 2004, 07:54 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Review of Griffin's iTrip

Category: Reviews
Link: Review of Griffin's iTrip

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 31, 2004, 08:13 PM   #2
Bunzi2k4
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Bunzi2k4
I love my itrip, use it all the time, although i find wires are better in quality...
Old Jan 31, 2004, 09:13 PM   #3
nagromme
macrumors G5

Best quality: a real line-in to your car (or home stereo). But you have to deal with cables, and installing something behind your dash, and many cars don't even have this option without replacing the stereo.

Second best: cassette adapter. But you have cables again, plus the annoyance of having to "Play" the fake tape--and many modern cars even with CD players don't also have a cassette player at all. Mine doesn't.

Third best--and often the only choice: FM. Download Griffin's station-finder app and follow the tips in the readme for clearest results. And remove or lower your car's external antenna if you live in a high-interference area with no free stations. You'll still be stuck with FM radio quality--but people enjoy that every day.

Other transmitters have a corded dongle, so for true wireless, cable-free convenience, there IS no competitor to iTrip. I hope they make one just for the iPod mini, even though the current one does fit (off-center).

Tip: if you don't want all those extra "control tracks" in your library, delete the ones you don't use. I'd tend to keep just 3 or 4 stations, for cities I drive to, and delete the rest. (There's no harm if they come up randomly in rotation--they don't take effect unless you manually press play/pause when the light flashes. But still, I consider them needless clutter in a music library, so I'd rather weed them down to a few!)
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 31, 2004, 09:41 PM   #4
Thirteenva
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme

Second best: cassette adapter. But you have cables again, plus the annoyance of having to "Play" the fake tape--and many modern cars even with CD players don't also have a cassette player at all. Mine doesn't.
hmmm.... i find the sound quality in my car to be much better with the itrip than it was with my cassete adapter.
Thirteenva is offline   0
Old Jan 31, 2004, 10:16 PM   #5
nagromme
macrumors G5

I suspect not all tape adapters are created equal--I've seen some with very thin unshielded wired--and all tape PLAYERS are certainly not created equal!
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 31, 2004, 11:39 PM   #6
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

What I very much dislike about iTrip is that if you move into a metro area that overtakes you existing iTrip setting, you have to stop your playlist to pick a new one.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 02:46 AM   #7
redAPPLE
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
What I very much dislike about iTrip is that if you move into a metro area that overtakes you existing iTrip setting, you have to stop your playlist to pick a new one.
maybe removing the external antenna would help here, no?
redAPPLE is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2004, 02:49 AM   #8
redAPPLE
macrumors 68030

Tip: if you don't want all those extra "control tracks" in your library, delete the ones you don't use. I'd tend to keep just 3 or 4 stations, for cities I drive to, and delete the rest. (There's no harm if they come up randomly in rotation--they don't take effect unless you manually press play/pause when the light flashes. But still, I consider them needless clutter in a music library, so I'd rather weed them down to a few!)

i didn't understand the part "manually press play/pause when the light flashes".

anybody care to elaborate?
redAPPLE is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2004, 02:56 AM   #9
nagromme
macrumors G5

If you drive a lot between metro areas that have no clear frequencies in common, then that would be an inconvenience.

Then again, other FM players that only HAVE 3-4 frequencies to choose from would probably be even worse: you might not find any of the 4 open, and then you're out of luck!

I found several frequencies in the station-finder app that are common to every city I'd be in over a typical year. So with a little luck, NO station-changing.

Plus, I random-shuffle the songs in most playlists, so resuming a playlist after a channel-change is no big deal: I don't care if it picks up where it left off or not, it's all random.

Direct wiring to your stereo, if you can achieve that, is certainly the simplest to use if you travel long distances.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2004, 12:21 PM   #10
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

When iTrip's little station setters play, the iTrip listens, but doesn't respond unless you pause the music during the 30 second "song". That's how it knows that you really want to change stations.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion