Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macsimus11

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
Hello everyone,
To make a very long story short:

My 1st Gen Mac Pro was having some major crashing problems. I couldn't afford to have Apple replace the board (which is what they said I need to do) for over 1000 bucks. I ended up buying a new board from http://www.mac-pro.com. I spoke with someone at mac-pro.com (Ed) and was told it was new and works great. The board including shipping and instructions cost me 500 bucks. I got the board and installed it myself (took like 6 hours).

Everything worked perfect at the first boot. It was great. I was not getting any crashes and the computer was like new again. I backed up everything before the new board and wiped clean all my drives to start over.

I fixed up my drives again and was ready to put XP back on my computer via Bootcamp. I was having nothing but problems. I would get to a certain point then crash. Thats a whole other problem that is in the bootcamp forums. So today I decided I would sell the machine (to someone who does not care for boot camp). I was going through the specs via "About this Mac" ->"More info..." and found something strange:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac
Model Identifier: M43ADP1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 10 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: AAPLM431.004E.B00
SMC Version: 1.7f0
Serial Number: System Serial#

I have looked at this before and it was different. I don't remember specifically but I think the model identifier said something like Mac Pro 1,1. I am wondering if this has anything to do with the boot camp problems I have been having. The Serial number is also obviously wrong. I understand that the logic board is not the same as the original and that the ROM is off. I tried installing some EFI ROM updates which failed because "This computer does not need this ROM" (or something like that).

If I knew that the different motherboard was going to cause a problem like this, I would have borrowed the money somehow and paid apple to do it right. Now I know that I cannot get a refund from mac-pro.com, only a replacement. I have flashed the PRAM and SMC with no luck.

Thanks a lot for reading my long a$$ story and I would really appreciate any help at all. Am I screwed?

Macsimus11

hatehereyes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2008
Moreno Valley, Ca
I know that the system serial number is specific for each logic board so it's normal that the serial number changed but where is says "Model Identifier: M43ADP1,1", I'm not sure why it does that. You're right it should say "Mac Pro 1,1".

but you mentioned that before you changed the logic board you were having crashing problems? was it with XP in boot camp?

Macsimus11

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
Thanks for the reply. The serial number actually says "System Serial#". Anyway, the crashing was occuring in Mac OS X. The screen would flash a blue color and then after a few seconds, would come right back to normal like it never happened. This happened every 15-20 minutes and sometimes would never come back at all. Would end up having to hard restart. Thats not happening anymore with the new board.

hatehereyes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2008
Moreno Valley, Ca
Oh i see.

hmm i've read around and it seems like if Apple were to replace the logic board they would use a disc to assign the serial number to the logic board but since you bought the logic board from someplace else they probably didn't do that.

and if that's the case you might have to talk to apple about getting a serial number assigned to your logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.