Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: High Quality iTunes-Pepsi Superbowl Ad

Interesting...

I wonder how often commercials are available online before they're aired during the SB...?

OSXpert

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
New York / New York
Anyone try out the bottle cap number shown on the screen (1828D2DD55)? it says one free song on the ad, so as a consumer i have to assume apple is giving everyone who watches the ad and copies the number down a chance to win that song.

Also the CD she is looking at is Green Days SuperHits album....but that album doesn't contain "I fought the law" so theres some defininite inconsistancies there. Furthermore, im being an idiot.

walexx

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Sydney
I didnt like it when i first saw the leaked ad, but after seeing the better quality version, I actually like it. I think its growing on me, and I think it will hit its target audience.

You have to remember that people who frequent forums like us tend to be more informed as to whats going on, and as we exhange our opinions we also tend to be more critical. My point is that with that in mind, I think the masses will like it and take notice of it, and the kids out there will definately go for it.

Great advertising for Apple and like the 100 million tunes Pepsi are giving away, Apple also gets free advertising.

I just hope there will be some bottles left for me to purchase when I visit Hawaii next month. I want 3 bottles to keep for memorabilia sake :).

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
It has a really artistic appeal to it but I'm not sure if it caries over in one viewing. A few viewings and it really grows on you

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
High Quality...

The cheapest and low quality commercial Pepsi has made and they're showing it in high quality. How redundant.

herschel

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2004
Quality ad???

Originally posted by walexx
... I actually like it. I think its growing on me, and I think it will hit its target audience.

... I think the masses will like it and take notice of it, and the kids out there will definately go for it.

Well, IMHO, the one thing that kids really hate is 'cheese', and this is the cheesiest ad I've seen in a long time.

Actually, following on from the ad about the guy who was 'blown out of his house by the awesome G5' (not just cheesy, but banned in the UK for being economical with the truth), I'm beginning to wonder who Apple thinks their target audience is...

Mark James

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Sarf London
The voice-over is revolting. It's the sound of a 37 year old classically trained actress trying to sound like a gormless 14 year old.

Never heard Green Day's 'I Fought The Law' before. It really adds something to the original, doesn't it? No? Oh.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
The girl in the advert's kind of cute. I take this comment back if she's under 16 of course ;)

I hate greenday even more that I used to now. What a crappy, punk by numbers cover that is.

As for the ad, it's actually pretty good, almost funny after reading that guy on the register's article about how much it's making him cry like the mac bashing, record industry hating, self rightous cretin he obviously is.

mbuna

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2004
Did anyone note that the leaked version and the official version are cut differently? For example, in the leaked version, when he's showing the bottle cap, the text is below the cap (and the cap distracted your attention away from the text) whereas in the real version the cap focuses out and the text scrolls up over it from below.

This might give a clue to where the leak came from, since it's clearly a pre-production cut from before it was finished.

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
I think the idea was excellent, but the execution is mediocre.
The only shot I really liked is the girl starting to laugh in front of the group.
Certainly not Apple caliber... but probably ok for Pepsi.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Garbled message

Is it me, (yes Probably), but it is really hard to make out when she says "for free". like she needed to take a breath halfway through the sentence.

Bernd

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
Re: Where to put the winning number in iTunes?

I like the new cut. It is much better:p

cartmill72

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Her voiceover is also different...

Just to add to the differences...

In the leaked version she says, "in front of 100 million people."

In the Apple-posted version she says, "in front of everyone."

I'm speculating the change was made because it has to have a longer shelf life than just the Super Bowl. 100 million people won't be watching TRL where it will be played over and over and over and....

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
"13. SPONSOR: This promotion is sponsored by Pepsi-Cola Company, Purchase, New York 10577. Apple Computer, Inc., is not a sponsor of this promotion."

i guess that is why the commercial is not up to par, with apple commercial standards

aeathier

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by aethier
"13. SPONSOR: This promotion is sponsored by Pepsi-Cola Company, Purchase, New York 10577. Apple Computer, Inc., is not a sponsor of this promotion."

i guess that is why the commercial is not up to par, with apple commercial standards

aeathier

Much agreed. It's actually pretty good for a Pepsi ad, though; we can't expect everyone to have advertisements as good as Apple's. It's better than the Ditech mortgage ads :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.