Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Oct 19, 2008, 01:32 PM   #1
SILENTMAC
macrumors newbie

ALU MB+MBP Owners please post power consumption

Thank you to all the new Aluminum MB and MBP owners for posting their impressions:

I am looking for some very specific information and testing...

I'm considering getting my first MAC and I like the new laptops but want to get some solid numbers regarding heat, power, and noise before making the move. I really don't like noisy computers so I undervolt my current pc and laptops to reduce power consumption and enjoy the resulting slower fan speeds.

With a Kill-a-watt or power meter please post power consumption with the battery removed and screen on max brightness:
Idle / CPU (both cores) loaded / GPU Loaded / CPU and GPU Loaded

As well please post core temps along with fan speeds for all these states. I'm also looking for impressions of fan noise and heat on the bodies of the laptops.

In Windows I use cpuburn, atitool and speedfan to gather the info. I don't know the equivalent programs for MAC.

Hopefully coolbook will add support for the new nvidia chipsets as my experience with undervolting Core2Duo laptops is a savings of about 10watts on the loaded end which is a lot less heat for the fan to move.

If anyone has the old macbooks or pro and could post numbers it would be interesting to compare.

Thanks.
SILENTMAC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2008, 02:50 PM   #2
SILENTMAC
macrumors newbie

anandtech claims power consumption should be lower

Just found this article on Anandtech that claims that the power consumption should be lower in the new Glassbooks due to the new chipset and DDR3 -

"Apple did a lot to reduce power consumption on the MacBook Pro: the GeForce 9400M chipset will use less power than Intel's G35M which was used on the previous notebook, DDR3 runs at a lower voltage than DDR2 (1.5V vs. 1.8V) and thus we see a drop in power there as well."

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3431

I'd put the power numbers up myself if I had access to the laptops so if anyone can do some testing it will be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:24 AM   #3
SILENTMAC
macrumors newbie

MAC programs for loading CPU measuring fan and heat

Bump

Can anyone post the programs they like to use to load the CPU and GPU in MAC along with software for monitoring temps and fan speed.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:43 AM   #4
noway
macrumors regular

ill post detailed numbers later but for now, what i can say is that this MacBook is the best one so far! (battery, design, & power, at least)

5.5h wifi on, bluetooth off, half brightness
7.5h wifi off, bluetooth off, half brightness

i have the 2.4ghz Alu MB 4Gb RAM. compare to my 1yr old MBP, this is a HUGE improvement! i used to squeeze 3h wifi on, bluetooth off, half brightness and about 4h wifi off, bluetooth off, half brightness on my MBP.

smaller screen but better performance and cheaper.

Last edited by noway; Oct 22, 2008 at 12:51 AM.
noway is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook