Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Check out this new software for downloading files from your Mac or OTHER iPhones, anywhere!:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=292598548&mt=8

In my opinion, this is way better than any other file browsers for the iPhone.

There's even a lite version that's free. Check it out here:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=292603588&mt=8

I did not create this software and I do not know the developers. I just tried it today and I really like it, so I'm trying to spread the word.

Before now, I was using Telekinesis to gain remote access to my Mac's files, but now Briefcase does that and even better too!

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Check out this new software for downloading files from your Mac or OTHER iPhones, anywhere!:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=292598548&mt=8

In my opinion, this is way better than any other file browsers for the iPhone.

There's even a lite version that's free. Check it out here:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=292603588&mt=8

I did not create this software and I do not know the developers. I just tried it today and I really like it, so I'm trying to spread the word.

Before now, I was using Telekinesis to gain remote access to my Mac's files, but now Briefcase does that and even better too!

Do you see an option to folder lock your files? So that people borrowing your iPhone cannot view your private files?

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Not available in UK for some strange reason... oh well, obviously they want to limit sales figures...

odelay

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I'm in the uk and have been in touch with the developer. Apparently it's not available outside the US until later in the week hopefully. Something to do with laws about encryption apparently. We'll see it over here soon. It's worth the wait, trust me.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
isn't this very similar to the application air sharing?

No, not at all.

Can you connect to your Mac and browse through it's files from ONLY the iPhone with Air Sharing? You can download ANY file from ANYWHERE using Briefcase. Air Sharing doesn't even come close.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I'm in the uk and have been in touch with the developer. Apparently it's not available outside the US until later in the week hopefully. Something to do with laws about encryption apparently. We'll see it over here soon. It's worth the wait, trust me.
Luckily, I have a US account as well.... :)

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
wow this really does look like a promising app, can't wait to get the full version in the UK store. Just tried out the US one with an old canadian itunes account :)

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
Downloading, now...what is the difference between the lite and 4.99 version.

The lite version is local machines only. The 4.99 allows connection to remote machines.

Feature wise the app is great, but it is not able to handle image files larger than about 1 Mb, which is not that big at all. When I tried to open the image file, the app not only crashed but hung for several minutes and took down the whole iPhone with it requiring a complete restart.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
The lite version is local machines only. The 4.99 allows connection to remote machines.

Feature wise the app is great, but it is not able to handle image files larger than about 1 Mb, which is not that big at all. When I tried to open the image file, the app not only crashed but hung for several minutes and took down the whole iPhone with it requiring a complete restart.

oooh.. not good. I wonder if it has the same limitation as Air Sharing with it's inability to open larger PDF's.

It would also be nice if you could stream content, like a movie, to watch remotely. I was a big fan of Telekinesis and it's ability to stream audio, before some others streamlined this function.

Has someone even tried downloading a movie remotely, using Briefcase?

Stebus

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Can briefcase be used to download whole directories? and does briefcase have the ability to scroll through images?

Yes it can, it gives you that option at the top of each directory.

It can't scroll through images unfortunately, that would make this app a real winner!

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
Briefcase just put out an update that fixed the problem with large graphic files.
It's definitely a 5 star app now.

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
it can work with windows, but does take some work
you can check out their web site for info. basically you need to run SSH server on PC

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
so i can browse the files on my mac with my iPhone, and then choose which ones i want to wirelessly download to my iPhone to then view while offline? This sounds like a very good application! Think i may have to do the rare thing and pay for the full version of an app :eek: lol

ohh, and can i re-arrange the files once they are on my iphone? add folders and move things into them etc? and can you copy a whole folder at once, or just the individual files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.