Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:41 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

iPhone 3G a battery life disaster, says Blackberry maker RIM

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: iPhone 3G a battery life disaster, says Blackberry maker RIM
Description:: Blackberry maker RIM says the iPhone 3G has poor battery life -- and that its upcoming 3G phones won't have the same problem.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:49 AM   #2
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

More power to them. My BB did honestly have much better life than my iPhone, even including the ways in which I use my iPhone more heavily than my BB. But it was also quite a lot thicker. Hopefully the Storm and other upcoming BB's raise the bar for smartphone life and push Apple to improve.

Certainly, with the iPod, Apple's initial offerings had relatively poor battery life -- the iPod touch notwithstanding, Apple came back over successive generations, and now it's pretty rare that anyone would complain about the battery life on an iPod classic or a nano. Even on the second generation nano, I have to charge it quite infrequently compared to my third generation iPod (the one with the row of four buttons).

Hopefully this kind of attention will spur Apple to make continuing gains on battery life.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:14 AM   #3
jayducharme
macrumors 68010

I thought the article was a lot of hooey.

Quote:
You have to keep your GSM radio running because you might get a phone call, but you also have to keep your 3G radio running because thatís what youíre bringing in your high speed data on.
Ummmm ... no. EDGE still delivers data. I generally keep my 3G turned off and usually can go about two days without re-charging. I find EDGE fast enough for all my data needs except Pandora. Even with 3G on, I get a full day of use out of my iPhone. If you're a "power user" then a simple charger for the car can easily pull you through a whole day. Or get a charger for the office.

Quote:
If you look at the iPhone as an example, and itís a beautiful looking product, but it doesnít give the heavy user a full day of battery life.
How many times does this guy have to say that in the article?

Quote:
One reason is that itís not really a push email device, itís what we call Ďpoke and pullí
Apple has already said this will be corrected with an upcoming software update. With the RIM products, all the updates in the world won't correct a smaller screen and the vast real estate occupied by the physical keyboard. Can you watch movies on a Blackberry? Play arcade-quality games? View the Web with multi-touch?

Like any early-generation device, the iPhone has some kinks to work out. Heck, it's only been around a little over a year! But I can gladly live with its few inconveniences, because those are far outweighed by its many benefits.
jayducharme is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:38 AM   #4
iphoneidiot
macrumors newbie

I Agree!

Having a charger at work solved my problems. Also, is there a need to have your Location Services turned on ALL the time. That's the one that saves me the most battery life. Also make sure you have Ask To Join Networks off on WIFI. These are features not needed on all the time.

This is the 2nd Generation iPhone, how many 2nd Generation phones had what this phone has. NONE! What did the 2nd Generation BB looked like anyways?

Last edited by iphoneidiot; Oct 20, 2008 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Addition
iphoneidiot is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Rojo
macrumors 65816

I love how the Blackberry guy doesn't actually say anything as strong as "iPhone 3G a battery life disaster" anywhere in the article. It's just the title that this site chose to give the article. He only mentions how he doesn't feel the iPhone would give a heavy user a full day of battery life. And again, that's just his opinion. I personally think it depends on what your idea of "heavy usage" actually is -- if I'm heavily using only programs I could find on a Blackberry, then I never run out of battery in a day. I don't even come close. But if I'm heavily using some graphics-heavy games and other unique iPhone-only apps that happen to take up a lot of power, than it's true the battery can maybe drain down after a while. However...in those cases, not only am I doing stuff that can't even be done on a Blackberry to begin with (so a comparison is useless), but most of it is stuff I wouldn't necessarily use all the time throughout the day anyway. I'm smart enough to know that if I'm going to start playing Nanosaur 2 on my iPhone for a long while, that I should probably be back at home for the day, or at least be in a place where I know I can charge my battery again soon, so that it doesn't drain down so far that I might not get an important phone call or whatever. Just don't play Super Monkey Ball for hours at work, and you should be fine. The actual battery for the iPhone has plenty of power for a phone -- even if it IS poking and pulling e-mail (a true e-mail-heavy user would have Exchange or MobileMe anyway).

Anyway, I just love how these kinds of articles add such hyperbole to their titles. Oh wait...it's a MSN site. Now it makes sense...
Rojo is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:45 AM   #6
Stella
macrumors 603

Fair article.

The iPhone may have a nice GUI, and multi touch ( which doesn't automatically make it a great phone ), but if the battery life can't keep power uses through an entire day, then whats the point? Not every one can be tied to a power point because their phone battery has just died.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:53 PM   #7
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
Fair article.

The iPhone may have a nice GUI, and multi touch ( which doesn't automatically make it a great phone ), but if the battery life can't keep power uses through an entire day, then whats the point? Not every one can be tied to a power point because their phone battery has just died.
Well, don't conveniently skip over the details. Users have to "manage" their device. Just like a laptop, there are many things that can be done to reduce battery consumption:
- check email less frequently
- turn off 3G
- turn off GPS
- dim the screen

Fair compromises, in my opinion. I dim the screen and turn off WiFi on my laptop when I don't need it and I'm running on battery.

Batteries have finite juice, so it's reasonable to expect one would have to manage the device powered by it.
coolfactor is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:59 PM   #8
xenotaku
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
Well, don't conveniently skip over the details. Users have to "manage" their device. Just like a laptop, there are many things that can be done to reduce battery consumption:
- check email less frequently
- turn off 3G
- turn off GPS
- dim the screen

Fair compromises, in my opinion. I dim the screen and turn off WiFi on my laptop when I don't need it and I'm running on battery.

Batteries have finite juice, so it's reasonable to expect one would have to manage the device powered by it.
Not really. Phones are expected to last at least a day, and more often than not, a few days off one charge. iPhone may have raised the bar in a number of areas, but they lowered the bar for battery issues.
xenotaku is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:50 PM   #9
peterlobl
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenotaku View Post
Not really. Phones are expected to last at least a day, and more often than not, a few days off one charge. iPhone may have raised the bar in a number of areas, but they lowered the bar for battery issues.
I dont know of any "smartphones" which are supposed to last a few days... let alone ones which endure so long in the real world.
my old treo 750p wasnt any better than iphone, and it lacked gps among many other fatal flaws
peterlobl is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2008, 02:30 PM   #10
junglecity
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenotaku View Post
Please the iphone battery is like every other phone out there, it's alright. Which phones last several days on one charge, then those people must not be using their phones at all.
junglecity is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2008, 02:59 PM   #11
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Fair article.

Couldn't agree more. I loved my iPhone but if I didn't keep plugging it in it was dead by 6:00pm. I guess I could have "power managed" it, but if I'd turned off 3G and not checked my mails as often I'd have lost most of the advantages of the iPhone anyway.
Instead, I went for the easier option and got myself a Nokia E71 that might not be as flashy as my iPhone but it works all day every day with push e-mail on a 3G connection and lets me make as many calls as I want and send as many SMSs as I want without curling up its toes and running out of power.

I don't care how good a gadget is - it's no use when it's got no power left in its battery...
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:08 PM   #12
FF_productions
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to FF_productions Send a message via Skype™ to FF_productions
iPhone needs a removable battery, I don't care what you may think about the design and how it would ruin it, but lets get serious.

It's just one of very few horrific flaws with the iPhone.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:36 PM   #13
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_productions View Post
iPhone needs a removable battery, I don't care what you may think about the design and how it would ruin it, but lets get serious.

It's just one of very few horrific flaws with the iPhone.
I disagree. My iphone lasts more than a whole day even with heavy use, and that's fine for me.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:08 PM   #14
ZiggyPastorius
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to ZiggyPastorius Send a message via MSN to ZiggyPastorius Send a message via Skype™ to ZiggyPastorius
This just in: RIM changes their minds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIM's CEO
The iPhone is the most amazing gadget in the world. I can't believe RIM isn't making iPhones instead of Blackberries, because Blackberries really suck. I am announcing now that I am closing RIM, and selling all of our stuff to Apple to aid in the manufacture of iPhones. Thank you.
Seriously, is anyone going to praise another product and its greatness, when it is a direct competitor of their own? Maybe a little bit, but no company is going to rant and rave about how much better it is than their own products, they're always going to spin it in their favour. Not making any statements about the accuracy of the article, just saying.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:52 PM   #15
kobefan234
macrumors 6502

maybe a battery update at macworld 09 that would be nice!

and are they taking about the blackberry bold?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:10 PM   #16
RRutter
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to RRutter
For people who hate the 3G battery life, check out the RichardSolo 1800.

Or, check out this thread, about the iPhone 3G battery life, and charging tips.
RRutter is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:17 AM   #17
roach
macrumors regular

Yeah, my sister is not too happy about her iPhone's battery life. We were at my niece's birthday party and she pulled out her iPhone for some quick photo...and dead iPhone. While her daughter took tons of photos using her blackberry. She's ready to move to a blackberry. How is Apple suppose to attract business market with this problem. Engadget also reported that Apple's new laptop has a smaller battery than previous models.
roach is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:57 PM   #18
RRutter
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to RRutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Yeah, my sister is not too happy about her iPhone's battery life. We were at my niece's birthday party and she pulled out her iPhone for some quick photo...and dead iPhone. While her daughter took tons of photos using her blackberry. She's ready to move to a blackberry. How is Apple suppose to attract business market with this problem. Engadget also reported that Apple's new laptop has a smaller battery than previous models.
I've also heard from different people & resources that the new MacBook/MBP is shorter. I don't see how they made a tiny battery for the MacBook Air, but the length of it is 7 hours. They should have done something similar to that in the new MacBooks/MacBook Pros.
RRutter is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:22 AM   #19
seemiles
macrumors newbie

I am overall happy with the iPhone. I am also an big Apple fan.It always amuses me to see people jumping to Apple defences as if they can do no wrong. The battery life doesnt bother me too much, I tend to pop it on the charger in the evening to top up. The issue which causes me some concern is this; Apple say the iphone battery is good for 300-400 cycles. I am on an 18 month contract, I believe (and I maybe wrong) US users are subject to a 24 month contract. If I charge my phone daily, technically my phone may only last one year, or just over before the battery becmes useless. So what happens to the remainder of my contract if my battery dies before this time?
seemiles is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2008, 09:36 AM   #20
ShepUK
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemiles View Post
Apple say the iphone battery is good for 300-400 cycles.
They actually say it'll hold about 80% of it's original charge after 300-400 cycles. That's still a lot of life...

(and if it isn't... you could always pay for a battery replacement)
ShepUK is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2008, 09:46 AM   #21
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Tonight on 60 Minutes: Manufacturer of iPhone competitor bashes iPhone. After the break: Water. . . Wet?
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:14 PM   #22
JNB
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to JNB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepUK View Post
They actually say it'll hold about 80% of it's original charge after 300-400 cycles. That's still a lot of life...

(and if it isn't... you could always pay for a battery replacement)

IIRC, that was also specifically 300-400 full cycles. "Topping off" from a 75% charge each time, for example, should give you 1200-1600 cycles, theoretically speaking. I'm sure it's nowhere near that, but nonetheless partial charges do extend the number somewhat.

JNB is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2008, 08:55 AM   #23
ntg
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to ntg
Battery Life

I received an HTC Diamond Touch last week, and have configured it as per all our other company phones, ie our 'standard' use with ActiveSync over 3G, checking every 60 minutes between 8am and 6pm.
The Diamond Touch barely makes it through the day - I remove it from it's charger at 8am and it is bleeping at me (low battery) by 5.30pm when I am home again (and that's just receiving a couple of calls on it too, as I use my desk phone to dial out!)
I'm now using a Treo Pro Touch, and (probably because it is physically bigger!!) that seems to indicate it will last a couple of days, configured in exactly the same way.

The moral?

If you tend towards trendy 'dinky' phones, don't be surprised when they don't last a day!

Nigel.
(I've just ordered another 10 Treos, by the way! - obviously!)
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:55 AM   #24
koobcamuk
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNotBeatle View Post
IIRC, that was also specifically 300-400 full cycles. "Topping off" from a 75% charge each time, for example, should give you 1200-1600 cycles, theoretically speaking. I'm sure it's nowhere near that, but nonetheless partial charges do extend the number somewhat.
Yeh, 300 full cycles would only be 300 days if you ran it totally flat every day.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 06:19 AM   #25
t0mat0
macrumors 601

Quote:
Fair article.

Imagine the iPHone was a nice Nissan GTR (see Top Gear review).

Yes, it can run it's fuel tank down in a couple of hours. But it could also run for days in normal day-to-day usage. Hence if you look at non-3G mode then yes, it does have equivalent battery life to it's peers pretty much, and also the v1 iPhone.

Power users will always be able to drain a battery. Because there will always be applications that are that battery intensive. The user has to take some responsibility in power management. It's like complaining a laptop won't run for a power user through an entire day, and then you find out they've had everything set to max, and have been burning and watching DVDs all day on battery mode...

I'd say the title is just misleading, it's more like "iPhone 3G's applications and usage profiles a potential battery life disaster" but that wouldn't be as great a crowd pulling ad reaping title.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion