Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Oct 21, 2008, 04:08 AM   #1
havenhamilton
macrumors 6502

How To Move My Library Without Migration Assistant

So in order to move my library from my old powerbook to my new macbook pro i need to use firewire. i've transfered everything via ethernet except my itunes library. I need to transfer that so I don't have to re-upload everything on my iphone and so i can keep the apps that were free but now cost money. Does anyone know how i can go about doing this without using migration wizard?
havenhamilton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 04:12 AM   #2
synth3tik
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to synth3tik
I don't see why you can't use migration, But you can copy all music over to the new computer and then replace the iTunes playlist with the one from your old MBP.
synth3tik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 04:15 AM   #3
havenhamilton
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth3tik View Post
I don't see why you can't use migration, But you can copy all music over to the new computer and then replace the iTunes playlist with the one from your old MBP.
i was on the phone with apple for over an hour. the reason why is because the new migration featuring ethernet and wifi is for 10.5, my powerbook is using 10.4.11. i copied my entire itunes folder from my old pb onto my new mbp but that didn't help.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 04:22 AM   #4
OllyW

Why can't you use firewire?
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 04:25 AM   #5
havenhamilton
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
Why can't you use firewire?
i don't want to spend any more money just to transfer my itunes library. i've already transferred everything else via ethernet.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 04:32 AM   #6
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
copy the whole iTunes folder in your Music folder over (however you will do it im not sure) to your MacBook pro and then drag it onto your iTunes window.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 04:39 AM   #7
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by richthomas View Post
copy the whole iTunes folder in your Music folder over (however you will do it im not sure) to your MacBook pro and then drag it onto your iTunes window.
You shouldn't have to drag it into iTunes. Make sure iTunes isn't open, copy the iTunes folder across to the MacBook Pro and then start up iTunes. It should load the library file from your PowerBook and leave all your settings intact, including your iPhone apps.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod