Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
To those who dont know, the iPod mini was/is/will always be the greatest iPod ever made...

The ease of opening one and the ability to pretty much swap parts just as easily should one fail is my main reason to never upgrade.

• I dont need a color screen, its a music player.
  • I like the wheel vs touchscreen when playing, I dont have to look.
  • Battery life is incredible with newer replacements.
The best part, IMO, is that the original 2/4GB MicroDrives can be replaced with CompactFlash cards.

Today you can buy 32GB for $70. Next year Im sure the $300 64GB ones will be on par.

The question is, should you upgrade now or keep waiting for prices to continually drop? Maybe wait until your Microdrive fails?

I see a $50 4GB iPod mini ---> $120 32GB flash iPod mini aint that bad compared to a 16GB $200 nano...

Hmmm, guess I didnt ask a question really, more like...ranted? :rolleyes:

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I guess it all depends on your needs, if you just want a simple music player then I suppose a 32 GB mini would be great, I use my 3g nano pretty often to watch shows on tv using a composite cord so I prefer my nano, besides I only have 7.18GB of music (I'm picky, what can I say). But if you have 32GB of music and are an audiophile I think the iPod classic has a better sound chip in it, then again it's also a hard drive instead of flash. Lots of decisions to keep in mind when picking between iPods I suppose, you can find one to fit almost any needs.

And as far as should you put 32GB of memory into it or wait...do you have 32GB or more of music? If so I would say yes.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
nanos new, smaller, plays videos, games worth the $200

Well let me see...who cares about them being new, that means nothing.

The newer nano actually isnt smaller than a mini, just thinner.

I personally dont want to watch videos on tiny screens, cellphones or otherwise.

Games? Its a music player, for me at least. Ive got a DS.

And, like I said, the best thing going for a Mini is the ease of upgrades.

When you want a larger capacity, go buy the CF card. Instead of buying a whole new one.

Bfat567

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2008
NewYork
The mini is indeed the best ipod ever. I almost got 2 for 50$ yesterday but someone beat me to the craigslist ad. I was a little upset.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I have a Mini, 1st generation, Lime, in perfect condition and the battery still holds a great charge! I love the thing to pieces.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Um, are we talking weight, mass, volume?

Im merely pointing out the iPod mini is still pretty small, even compared to the newest Nano. Might weigh a little bit more and be a hair thicker, but i personally dont care about that kind of stuff.

Its a music player, and a damn fine one thats easily upgradeable and basically future proof for Mp3 music playback.

Boise Jim

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
New poster here!

I just got done converting my Mini to flash. 16gb card from newegg- $32, and it was a piece of cake to do.
Also, I painted it (3 coats paint (navy blue hi-gloss), and two coats of clear coat, then baked it), and it turned out awesome. Feels like I got a new iPod.

I love the Mini 'cause it's so easy to work on.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
New poster here!

I just got done converting my Mini to flash. 16gb card from newegg- $32, and it was a piece of cake to do.
Also, I painted it (3 coats paint (navy blue hi-gloss), and two coats of clear coat, then baked it), and it turned out awesome. Feels like I got a new iPod.

I love the Mini 'cause it's so easy to work on.

How about some pictures?

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
The other advantage of the nano over the mini is I'm sure battery life is much much better. Otherwise, I agree, mini's are sweet.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
The other advantage of the nano over the mini is I'm sure battery life is much much better. Otherwise, I agree, mini's are sweet.

upgrade the battery to a higher capacity, problem solved.

i mean, battery tech is universal. what the nano uses, so can a mini.

and with the mini, Im not cracking or marring the case to open it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.