Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:33 AM   #1
g-boac
macrumors 6502

How do I search a specific folder?

When I press command-option-spacebar to open up a search window, I want to search a specific folder for all documents that are PDF. How do I search just that folder, not "This Mac" or "mdub" (my home directory)? Either option returns a LOT more files than what is relevant to me?

thanks!
Mark
g-boac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:35 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

In Finder, double-click to open the folder, then search. You'll be given an option for "This Mac" or your folder.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 04:51 PM   #3
g-boac
macrumors 6502

got it, thanks!!
g-boac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 03:11 PM   #4
CreativeHart
macrumors newbie

The "Apple (Command) + Spacebar" keyboard shortcut will open the Spotlight Search. Hit the shortcut and start typing. It auto fills and gives you the options to open a search window from the first result.

EDIT:

Sorry I had the wrong answer. You were asking for a folder specific search.

I have a question that is related to this: How do you have the search automatically search the folder you are already in? I do a lot of folder specific searches and it is tedious to have to select the folder instead of the whole Mac every time. Does that make sense?

Last edited by dejo; Mar 3, 2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Consecutive posts. Please use edit feature.
CreativeHart is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help