Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kucukbasak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Hey,

I'm on the verge of buying the new 17 inch MBP with the intention of buying an MBox Pro (and the PT LE that comes with it). I want to maximize the efficiency of everything i get.. this will include an external hard drive and anything else that i may need. i live in nashville and i'm going to be taking the producer/audio engineer route and what the best personal system i can get to do professional editing on my comp.

any suggestions on the specifications of the MBP? Should i go for the SSD? and which options should i select?

Also, should I do the Mbox Pro with the PT LE? or maybe something else... i know i need pro tools though, it's the industry standard in country music (would PT HD be overkill??)

Also, what external hard drive should i get?

is there anything i need to buy that i'm leaving out???

Any information would be great. I've had a very basic firefox, cubase le setup at home for a while but that's nothing compared to what i'm about to try to do.

Any suggestions and rules of thumb would really help me out.. I know this is a pretty loaded post... thanks!!

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
First of all, what exactly do you plan to do? Are you going to be recording? Recording what? Mixing?
If you've got the budget for a SSD, then I would suggest getting a normal internal drive and use that money elsewhere, though I can't make any recommendations without knowing what it is you'll be doing.
For external drives, I'd stay away from Lacie. Glyph is a very good company with good support. Might want to check them out.

kucukbasak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
thanks for replying guys. i was planning on spending just under 4k for the macbook pro 17" with the upgrades except the ssd (yeah i guess it's not worth it.. and only 128 mb.. space is more important).

i'm going to be recording, starting off simple, singer songwriter stuff, vocals, guitar maybe a midi and eventually as i learn i'm going to get more complex, into bands and heavier mixing. So basically I want a pretty professional system that i can build on as my career moves forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.