Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fohawk17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
i have a purple tray-loading imac g3 and it runs good. but i was looking at the processor speed and it isnt much. i think only 333MHz. is there any way to overclock it without changing hardware, such as a software that will run on 10.2.8? i only want another 50MHz from it or so. it is a powerpc processor, ram modules are directly on the processor, no pins

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Can't be done

Nope - no 'software' over clocks are available, and I doubt 50MHz would be that noticable. You could try upgrading the OS to Tiger (10.4.11) but don't forget its a slow CPU and would be slow. Tigers requirements are a 333MHz G3 or higher with 256MB RAM recommended. This Mac supports up to 512MB of RAM using. Also a quick note, there are no 'ram modules' on the CPU. You'll find that this is actually backside cache for the processor.

See the attached image for a quick diagram of the parts:

pac

Attachments

• tn_instimac_b.gif
    tn_instimac_b.gif
    24.5 KB · Views: 692

WayneStewart

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver, BC, Canada
To overclock a tray loading iMac you have to solder resistors on the processor card. I'm attaching a couple of pics showing where the relevant resistors are and the configurations for various speeds.

Wayne

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    230.1 KB · Views: 663
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 522

IroquoisPliskin

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
50mhz will be noticeable at such a low starting speed. Clocking my 400mhz PowerMac G4 to 450MHz made a good difference in performance.

WayneStewart

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Don't know. I have a few spare boards to cannibalize. In any case just moving the existing ones to the new position would do.
For removing resistors you really need two soldering irons or you can easily damage the processor card. Those traces are really delicate.

Wayne

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
I did this before to an eMac.. It worked, but I don't think I would bother again. It was very tedious, and there's a real risk of fudging up the Mac.
However, the chances are that if it doesn't work properly first time, then you try again at a lower speed until it does work.

You absolutely NEED good soldering skills. And preferably at least a little experience with surface mount technology also. Oh, and you need a good eye too. Those soldered jumpers/resistors are very very small.
For the work involved, I don't think you'll get great gains out of one of these Macs. And as I said, if you have not got any soldering experience, then forget it.

fohawk17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Dude I am the one that gave you that computer so your guess is as good as mine

shut you face lol. i didnt ask you cause i knew you wouldnt have answers. but o well. good to see you on here. have fun, and help solve peoples problems.

if i were to fint another processor and swap the one in my mac out for that, would it still work?

WayneStewart

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver, BC, Canada
The last Sonnet Harmoni G3 upgrades were 600mhz but they're out of production because not many people with tray loading iMacs were willing to spend over $350 for the upgrade. Though if you can find someone with some old stock wanting to clear it out you might be able to pick one up at a fraction of that price.
A better choice if you have to have a crt iMac is one of the slot loading iMacs, they were available in speeds of up to 700mhz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.