Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today posted their 3Q earnings with strong wireless division gains lead by 2.4 million iPhone 3G activations in the quarter, 40% of which were new AT&T subscribers. Adjusted earnings dipped slightly due to the subsidies placed on the iPhone 3G and hurricane related expenses.

AT&T highly values iPhone and other smartphone subscribers due to their lucrative data plans that have "significantly higher [average revenue per user] and lower churn than postpaid subscriber average."

Yesterday Apple reported that they had sold the 10 millionth iPhone last quarter. This beat Apple's self-imposed goal of reaching this milestone by the end of calendar year 2008.

Article Link: iPhone 3G Boosts AT&T Earnings

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
Amazing. I bet Verizon is shooting themselves for not taking the iPhone.

All because they wanted to put software on the phones, and sell it at other retailers...

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Good, this is expected. Now ATT FIX YOUR D$#@ NETWORK ISSUES SO WE CAN ACUTALLY USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

koala

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2008
Yesterday Apple reported that they had sold the 10 millionth iPhone last quarter. This beat Apple's self-imposed goal of reaching this milestone by the end of calendar year 2008.

Man, I'll be happy when 2008 is over so that news articles and bloggers can stop getting the facts on this wrong.

Apple did sell the 10 millionth iPhone last quarter, but that had nothing to do with anything.

Apple set a goal of selling 10 million iPhones during this calendar year, and they achieved that this quarter (i.e., sometime in October).

BigTRQ

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
Amazing. I bet Verizon is shooting themselves for not taking the iPhone.

All because they wanted to put software on the phones, and sell it at other retailers...
QFT! Every time an iPhone goal is reached, I want to reach out and hammer Denny Stringl on the damned head. He should have seen that Apple was up and coming in the mobile device market and how well their products sold in general. I totally agree that VZW is all about putting their software on EVERYTHING they offer to make sure that you can buy, buy, buy from their crappy ringtone, game, and productivity markets.

What I've always wondered is, is, did AT&T take the iPhone at face value, or did they take it only because VZW said no?

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Meh.

Well, that isn't from any extra money that AT&T filched from me, certainly. They wouldn't even sell me an iPhone 3G when it came out, so that is several hundred dollars that didn't go into their pockets. I went and purchased an iPod touch instead.

Perhaps if a 32GB version of the iPhone comes out I'll reconsider, but until then...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3D: Godzilla/5.0; AppleWebKit/525.18.1; stereoscopic glasses 3.1.1) Mothra/5F136 Safari 3D)

Yes, being locked into one provider does reduce churn. If I eventually get a choice, I'll make a choice.

saturniphone

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
I wonder how many of those who switched to AT&T to get the iPhone would switch back to Verizon if/when it's offered on their network. Under equal pricing schemes I would most assuredly be with Verizon.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
saturniphone said:
I wonder how many of those who switched to AT&T to get the iPhone would switch back to Verizon if/when it's offered on their network. Under equal pricing schemes I would most assuredly be with Verizon.
Even if the pricing schemes weren't equal, I'd pay up to $10/month more to be on Verizon with my iPhone. In my geographic area, Verizon's service is by far the best.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Wonder what Apples iPhone salesgoal will be next year... 15 million?... 20 million?...

It'll be whatever they think they can surpass earlier, so the headlines will look good :)

Since Apple counts sales not users, then for all we know, Apple could've forced each carrier to pre-buy a certain amount, just to make sure the 10 million number was met.

In any case, kudos to Apple for being in the black in these hard times.

harrier

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Springfield, VA
I'd like to get 1 or 2 more iPhones for my family but won't because we'd have to pay $30 more each. Too bad AT&T doesn't discount the dataplan fees under the family plan.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Ha, wow the iPhone is a big deal. I love my unlocked iPhone on Unicel and I only pay $45 a month for unlimited minutes and texts, mind you the coverage area is really only close to home but that works just fine for me. I would love to get a data plan though for my phone but ATT does not cover hear nor are they as cheap.

Am I the only one who thinks the prices all these companies charge for texting is a joke?

Oh well I am just ranting, I won't be happy until I get unlimited everything for $20 a month. :D

sfh

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Sacramento CA
AT&T doesn't deserve the iPhone ... I so wish there was a second carier in the us so they would have reason to fix problems with their network

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
AT&T doesn't deserve the iPhone ... I so wish there was a second carier in the us so they would have reason to fix problems with their network
I'm so not a fan of AT&T, but in my area, in the last three months, they've added four or five new towers. Service at my house has gone from NO SIGNAL or 1 bar to between 3 and 5 bars. Just saying that in some areas, they are improving their network.

The only other choice in the US would be T-Mobile, which currently has a 3G network in less than 10% of the places AT&T has their 3G network. :(

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
I'm so not a fan of AT&T, but in my area, in the last three months, they've added four or five new towers. Service at my house has gone from NO SIGNAL or 1 bar to between 3 and 5 bars. Just saying that in some areas, they are improving their network.

The only other choice in the US would be T-Mobile, which currently has a 3G network in less than 10% of the places AT&T has their 3G network. :(

For the past year or so AT&T has had tower sharing agreements with T-Mobile effectively to spread both networks. At house, T-Mobile users get "welcome to AT&T" when fire up their phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.