Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
I'm not an expert in this area, so it's hard for me to tell between the GPU and CPU which plays the most important role. Perhaps it's dependent on the way the software is written, I'm not sure.

However, as I've read through the threads here I've noticed some discission of difference in times, but I can't tell why.

For example: Mac Pros are beating out the iMac, which in turn beat the Mac Books.

Now I know this may seem obvious and "duh", and more is better, but how much more and what is it worth - both in terms of dollars and time?

Let's assume the processor speed is the same, what benefit would one see from the 256mb iMac card v the 512mb card? What then if you bump the processor to the 3.06ghz option? Likewise for the new entry Mac Book with the 9400M to the dedicated 9600 unit.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
For video encoding in OSX, at the moment, it's all about CPU speed, including both raw CPU power and the front side bus speed. Harddrive and disc drive speed can play a roll in this if your CPU is fast enough as well, depending on the source and destination of your encode.

Memory has a limited effect on encode speed, and GPU, at this time, has none.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Speaking for HB, its all about cpu, number of (including cores) and clock speed. HB uses little ram actually. a c2d is awesome, and a quad is better yet (due to multi-threading). there are diminishing returns above that though, like a quad vs. an octo. GPU will do nothing for encoding with HB.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Speaking for HB, its all about cpu, number of (including cores) and clock speed. HB uses little ram actually. a c2d is awesome, and a quad is better yet (due to multi-threading). there are diminishing returns above that though, like a quad vs. an octo. GPU will do nothing for encoding with HB.
This is where I suggest running multiple instances of Handbrake.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
This is where I suggest running multiple instances of Handbrake.

Do *not* try this with HB Snapshot 3 (macgui version) or above. Each instance would try to use the same queue plist and disaster would ensue. You have been warned ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.