Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeBilbao

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Last weekend I made some modifications on my PC, changing the processor and reorganizing all the cabling inside it. Unfortunately I swtiched the firewire and USB connectors - they both share the same pinout - so when I connected my trusty 16 GB iPod Touch it was damaged.

At first sight I thought it was not only the USB connection that didn't work anymore but also the charging circuit. After leaving it connected all night I could test that the charging circuitry was OK, the charging icons doesn't appear but it charges well.

I got my Touch jailbreaked so now it's not only a brick but it's still very usable with lots of software installed, accesible from my Mac or PC with SSH, but I want to get this USB connector repaired, the unit is still in the warranty period and it should go to an authorized Apple customer service center.

But if I decide to go there I have to eliminate every trace of jailbreak, and I'm not sure if this can be done from within the iPod. I've seen the option Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings and I don't know if it will wipe out everything, but I guess it won't.

If I can't I will keep this 16GB iPod as is, by the way I've just bought a second hand 32GB 1st Gen Touch as a replacement and upgrade, so it's not mandatory to get it working, though it would be really great to do so.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

LouisBlack

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Balham, London
I would assume that as it was your fault Apple will not help you out. Even if it wasn't jailbroken it is still fried due to your wiring. They probably know how to spot that kind of thing.

asskick3r

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
"Somewhere ... In las vegas"
... Hmmm.
Yeah ... sorry but apple won't fix this.
You could try selling it as a fixer upper ... or purchase a replacement usb port for the ipod touch.

OR ... You could buy some sort of adapter.
This might work ... but I don't have time to read the whole description

http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/connector.htm?touchmic.htm
(Click on the : "iPhone charge converter, iPod standard accessories"
to the very left of the screen)

Hope this somehow helps!

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I got my Touch jailbreaked so now it's not only a brick but it's still very usable with lots of software installed, accesible from my Mac or PC with SSH, but I want to get this USB connector repaired, the unit is still in the warranty period and it should go to an authorized Apple customer service center.

you say it's a brick but then you say u can access it. If you can access it and it turns on IT'S NOT A BRICK!! god I thought people got past callin ipods a brick even though it still turns on.

have you tried pluggin the thing into another pc/mac?

therealmrbob

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
I'm just wondering, are you sure that it's not the cable that is broken?

To me, it seems improbable that the usb connecter on the iPod would be not working and it still work and charge etc.

DeBilbao

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
I'm completely sure that the cable is not broken. I have three cables that work perfectly before with this iPod and that even now work great with another iPods.

As you can see in this photo, the dock connector seem to be quite complicated to access and doesn't appear to be any easy replaceable units.

16-1.jpg

By the moment I will keep this iPod as it is, fully functional as an Internet Mobile Device and fully accesible via SSH. My brand new 32 GB iPod Touch works great also as music and video player accesible via iTunes.

Do you know any way to put audio and video files inside the iPod Touch without using USB?

I'm gonna try the new XBMC and put some music and video files ...

DEP

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2008
I have the same exact problem!! if anyone could please help it is the only ipod i have... am i able to just swap out the usb port?

barrkel

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
Most likely you'll have blown one or more components / chips that are directly connected to the data lines on the USB connector. Probably the USB communications chip is blown.

USB has 4 wires; 2 for power (+5v & ground), 2 for data (+ and - data).

Firewire has different connectors, though the motherboard usually uses keyed 8-pin blocks. Ideally the keys (missing pins / blocked holes in the female connector) stop you from doing what you just did.

More importantly, though, 6-pin firewire connectors have a +30v output, which ought to be enough to blow data lines.

Most likely you are still able to charge because the iPod circuits are using the +5v / ground lines in a relatively dumb way to recharge the battery. The data lines, on the other hand, are likely shot inside your iPod.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Ouch... well it's not a defect on Apple's part. That's what their 1 year warranty covers. It's accidental damage, not even AppleCare will fix that without having you pay a small sum.

DEP

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2008
If i bring the ipod to the store and act like i have no idea what happened do you think they will swap it out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.