Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woverend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Ok, I am close to finally upgrading from my G3 pismo to a new G5 desktop package. I don't need the fastest/top of the line, my uses, besides standard work/email/internet stuff will mainly be the following:

Photos: meager 12 gig hard drive is starting to fill up with digital pictures, and iPhoto won't let me store them on the external. Plus, I'm looking at a new 4 mega pixel camera, so even bigger file sizes are in my future...

Imovie: I've got a nice a digital video camera and a 1 year old child... you do the math. My laptop just shows me enough of what I could be doing to frustrate me... I doubt I would use much more than FC express, in all honesty.

Garageband: I don't know if I would give up my non computer stuido, but it sure would be fun to play with....

So here's the deal. The Single 1.8'sa are on sale for a great price due to overstocking... something like $1800 or so. But, Apple has refurbished Dual 2's for $2399.

So my question is, is it worth the extra money (which is essentially the cost of a 17"display) to have the Dual 2 over the Single 1.8??

Given what I'm looking to do with it, would the Single processor be limiting to me? to the tune of $600?

Thanks.

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
i'd go with the single 1.8 based on what you said you're going to use it for the most processor intensive thing you said was a little imovie and i doubt you'd see much of a difference just playing around with it and doing some light work, the extra 600 can go towards RAM, a nice monitor, isight, ipod, etc

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I have a single 1.8 with a 20 cinema display. My thoughts where to take the money saved of the difference between the 2.0 DP and the 1.8 SP and upgrade the display from 17" to 20".
My preference is dual processor machines. (I think all Power Macs should be dual) (Ok, I'm over my mini rant.)
The 20" display works great for FCPE and other stuff. Love it.
Generally I have a hard time bogging the machine down, but FCPE will do it.
In my opinion the duals operate smoother. I have a dual 867 G4 at work, and it is always smooth. My G5, on rare occasion, I have had the sluggish cursor.
I hope some of this helps.

woverend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Flynn, I take it that FCPE means Final Cut Professional?? (I know it's a stupid question, sorry)

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have any "slow" experiences using a Single 1.8 with garageband??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.