Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:46 PM   #1
dsiewmy
macrumors newbie

VisualHub - truncating avi conversions

Hi guys,
Just bought my aTV and happy as hell with it.
Haven't hacked it yet, but I'm converting my avi library to mp4 in order to view them on my aTV.

After reading a few threads here, i used VisualHub to batch convert my avis with quite some success.
But i realised that there are some files which is truncated (44 min videos become only 5 minutes mp4).
After a second try converting 1 file by 1 file, the same thing happen.

Anybody know what's wrong? Or what other converters are there?

Thanks!!
dsiewmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 03:42 AM   #2
soul12
macrumors member

getting this as well. 20-minute sitcom becomes 10 mins. 40-minute show becomes 5 mins. it plays fine as AVI but during conversion using visualhub or handbrake, it truncates the files.

the files were originally split into several RAR files.

although, i was able to convert a full movie without issues. i'm betting both files are corrupt (even though it plays nice as AVIs)
soul12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 12:18 AM   #3
dsiewmy
macrumors newbie

so, it's not only me.

but my files were not from *.rar and i've done hash checking over and over.

anybody any ideas?

or at least what other software can I use to convert to *.mp4?
dsiewmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 06:21 AM   #4
Nimiety
macrumors regular

My brother and I both had this exact problem.

It turns out that the files we were having problems with were all avi torrents with LOL in the title. Whoever that is was using a different conversion format for divx.

Use the shareware program ffmpegX - it's free to try (donation/payment optional and recommended, of course). At the defaults, it converts the avi to a more standard format for divx which then passes through visualhub properly.

So, for avi's from torrents not including LOL, the workflow goes ffmpegX -> visualhub -> appleTV enjoyment.

Good luck!
Nimiety is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:45 AM   #5
Weaselboy
macrumors G4

I was having the same problem and it was a TV show in .AVI that included LOL in the file name. Never could figure out the problem in Visual Hub.

I ended up transcoding to Apple TV preset in Quicktime Pro and that worked fine.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:48 AM   #6
soul12
macrumors member

all my files that had this problem had LOL in it... but i'm not sure if i'm ready to do a third conversion with the ffmpegx solution.

right now, i just watch it on my macbook instead.
soul12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 05:55 PM   #7
Nimiety
macrumors regular

The good thing is that there's no apparent loss of quality with the extra conversion step. Apparently, frame-by-frame comparisons look virtually identical.
Nimiety is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 06:16 PM   #8
Kilamite
macrumors G3

I've found VisualHub does this too sometimes. Try using a different decoder (found in the advanced tab).

It's a pity VisualHub is no longer being produced, I'd like to see an updated version to include more compatibility. I'd use HandBrake but I get better results with VisualHub - plus I can choose custom resolutions (such as 800x450 for the likes of South Park to make it widescreen) which I'm not able to do in HandBrake.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:09 PM   #9
Volante
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
I've found VisualHub does this too sometimes. Try using a different decoder (found in the advanced tab).

It's a pity VisualHub is no longer being produced, I'd like to see an updated version to include more compatibility. I'd use HandBrake but I get better results with VisualHub - plus I can choose custom resolutions (such as 800x450 for the likes of South Park to make it widescreen) which I'm not able to do in HandBrake.
You can always open them up and in Quicktime and change aspect ratio there.
Volante is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:54 AM   #10
colinmack
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimiety View Post
My brother and I both had this exact problem.
Brother here ;-)

...as an FYI, running it through ffmpegx also appears to fix the occasional problems where audio drift gets progressively worse throughout the converted video (coincidentally, only happens with LOL files).

Doing some digging it appears it may be related to a non-standard frame rate in the LOL AVIs, but I haven't done enough fiddling to isolate a VH-specific workaround (the extra ffpmegx step is quick enough that I haven't bothered to solve the mystery yet).

Cheers...
colinmack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 01:17 PM   #11
matthew84
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmack View Post
Brother here ;-)

...as an FYI, running it through ffmpegx also appears to fix the occasional problems where audio drift gets progressively worse throughout the converted video (coincidentally, only happens with LOL files).

Doing some digging it appears it may be related to a non-standard frame rate in the LOL AVIs, but I haven't done enough fiddling to isolate a VH-specific workaround (the extra ffpmegx step is quick enough that I haven't bothered to solve the mystery yet).

Cheers...
what settings did you use to run it through ffmpegx to fix the audio drift issues?
matthew84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 09:41 PM   #12
refulgentis
macrumors regular

Quote:

making it wide screen is just stretching the original picture, quicktime will do this for you

also: why there's no way you're getting better results from VisualHub - http://web.me.com/jpo/website_name/T...Handbrake.html
refulgentis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 05:47 AM   #13
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by refulgentis View Post
making it wide screen is just stretching the original picture, quicktime will do this for you

also: why there's no way you're getting better results from VisualHub - http://web.me.com/jpo/website_name/T...Handbrake.html
VisualHub does do a better job.

Audio sync issues with HandBrake (varies - some encodes are ok, others, particularly .mkv's aren't).

And reason I want to encode the stretch is so when I watch it on my Apple TV, it is 16:9 not 4:3.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 01:14 AM   #14
refulgentis
macrumors regular

Quote:
VisualHub does do a better job.

Audio sync issues with HandBrake (varies - some encodes are ok, others, particularly .mkv's aren't).

And reason I want to encode the stretch is so when I watch it on my Apple TV, it is 16:9 not 4:3.

If you seriously have audio sync issues, please post a bug report to the HB forums. I've converted 100s of MKVs and there's been no issue, and there's no reason for there to be, so its odd that there are for you.

it doesn't matter...why would you intentionally stretch content? you're just avoiding black bars on the side, which is kind of silly
refulgentis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:52 AM   #15
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by refulgentis View Post
it doesn't matter...why would you intentionally stretch content? you're just avoiding black bars on the side, which is kind of silly
Fill the screen.

I do it with cartoons - South Park, American Dad etc. Looks fine stretched.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater