Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stownsend3

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Office is just downright annoying sometimes. An issue that I've had with Office 2008 is that when I download a presentation or word document, it chances the file type to filename.doc.dot

On my iMac at home (again, running 2008) it doesn't add this extension. But, using my MBA it DOES show up. Not a huge deal because all the files still work. I just like to use Quick Look, which doesn't work with .doc.dot, .xls.dot, .ppt.dox, etc.

Can someone help me out and tell me why Office does this, and how / if I can turn it off?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Office is just downright annoying sometimes. An issue that I've had with Office 2008 is that when I download a presentation or word document, it chances the file type to filename.doc.dot

On my iMac at home (again, running 2008) it doesn't add this extension. But, using my MBA it DOES show up. Not a huge deal because all the files still work. I just like to use Quick Look, which doesn't work with .doc.dot, .xls.dot, .ppt.dox, etc.

Can someone help me out and tell me why Office does this, and how / if I can turn it off?

I haven't seen this. Maybe its just you.

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA

When you say that you're downloading a presentation, where are you getting it from? What are you using to download it? After you have downloaded it, but before you open it in Word, does it have the correct extension?

Regards,
Nadyne.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
When you say that you're downloading a presentation, where are you getting it from? What are you using to download it? After you have downloaded it, but before you open it in Word, does it have the correct extension?

Regards,
Nadyne.

Actually, I have seen this before. When downloading files off of Blackboard. But I haven't seen it in a long time. Most of the time, the files were created in Office 2003 and saved in the .ppt format.

A quick search of Google seems to indicate this occurs when you use Safari. Leopard appends .dot, which is different from a .docx/.doc.

It is supposed to have been fixed. Have you updated Microsoft Office 08?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.