Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:30 PM   #1
wrkactjob
Banned

Creating A Ringtone Folder In iTunes?

When you have created a ringtone in .m4r format and its sitting on your desktop, how do you get it into iTunes?...there is no Ringtones folder under the Library section, only

Music
Movies
TV Shows
Podcasts
Applications
Radio

or do you just drag it into your main music section?

Thanks!
wrkactjob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:34 PM   #2
efp1
macrumors 6502

Just drag it into your main music section. It should automatically create a 'Ringtones' category.
efp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:38 PM   #3
wrkactjob
Banned

Ah excellent! yes your right, many thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 02:04 PM   #4
wrkactjob
Banned

Sorted.

Last edited by wrkactjob; Oct 23, 2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Worked it out!
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:57 PM   #5
rmcwmson
macrumors newbie

Need help with the itunes ringtone folder

Hey need help I made my snippet of a ringtone at 30 seconds and I moved it into the itunes main music folder and it did not create the Ringtone folder. Is the process different somehow on a 8GB iphone?
rmcwmson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:59 PM   #6
blancoBronco
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcwmson View Post
Hey need help I made my snippet of a ringtone at 30 seconds and I moved it into the itunes main music folder and it did not create the Ringtone folder. Is the process different somehow on a 8GB iphone?
It should be the same. is it a legit ringtone, or did you just shorten a song to ringtone length?

SOLD: 16 GB Black iPhone 4S, 16 GB Black iPhone 4, 16GB Black iPhone 3G S, 8GB Black iPhone 3G, 8GB iPhone 2G
blancoBronco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 02:12 PM   #7
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by blancoBronco View Post
It should be the same. is it a legit ringtone, or did you just shorten a song to ringtone length?
Both are "legit" ringtones.

OP, did you do an iTunes conversion and change the extension of the file to m4r?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 02:52 PM   #8
Poat84
macrumors 6502

Thats one good thing about itunes, its really easy to make ringtones
Old Feb 16, 2010, 03:41 PM   #9
blancoBronco
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
Both are "legit" ringtones.

OP, did you do an iTunes conversion and change the extension of the file to m4r?
If you just shorten a song to 30 seconds, its still a song. if you drag both to the desktop, you will see the song is m4a and the ringtone is m4r

SOLD: 16 GB Black iPhone 4S, 16 GB Black iPhone 4, 16GB Black iPhone 3G S, 8GB Black iPhone 3G, 8GB iPhone 2G
blancoBronco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:29 PM   #10
rmcwmson
macrumors newbie

itunes conversion

So how do I do the itunes conversion on the song. It is a song that I made a 24 second snippet on. So, you are right it is still a m4a file. So now how do I turn it into a m4r file?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:37 PM   #11
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by blancoBronco View Post
If you just shorten a song to 30 seconds, its still a song. if you drag both to the desktop, you will see the song is m4a and the ringtone is m4r
You have to convert it to AAC (m4a).

Quote:
So how do I do the itunes conversion on the song. It is a song that I made a 24 second snippet on. So, you are right it is still a m4a file. So now how do I turn it into a m4r file?
If you have a m4a file, drag it to the desktop. Click show extension, if you don't have that on. Change the extension to m4r (change the "a" to "r"). Then either double click the m4r or drag it into iTunes.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:48 PM   #12
troop231
macrumors 601

My favorite method for iPhone ringtone creation is audiko.net. You upload your mp3 song, trim it, and it gives you a variety of download file type links including iPhone m4a/r formats you can then drag into iTunes
troop231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:52 PM   #13
rmcwmson
macrumors newbie

Question making m4a to m4r

when I took the aac version to the desktop then I click on it with the control it does not give me the option to show extension. Am I doing something wrong? I am new to an apple (mac) computer so I am needing a lot of help. Thank you so much for you help.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:43 PM   #14
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
when I took the aac version to the desktop then I click on it with the control it does not give me the option to show extension. Am I doing something wrong? I am new to an apple (mac) computer so I am needing a lot of help. Thank you so much for you help.
Go to the Finder, then go to Preferences, then go to the Advanced tab, then check the box that says: Show all file extensions. Hope that helps you.
troop231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:50 PM   #15
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't help you further, but I didn't know you were new. Anyway, the poster above fixed you up. Now, hopefully, you'll get your ringtones.

BTW, audiko.net is okay, but the problem is you have to be on the internet. Once you get used to the iTunes method, you won't need to bother with anything else.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 08:07 AM   #16
XBC
macrumors newbie

OK...I'm not there yet with creating this ringtone. I'm totally new to macs and (actually) find them far from intuitive.

I've got as far as having a 'ringtone' folder in my itunes music list. I can see the track in the ringtone folder. What I cant do is get the ringtone onto the iphone. If I click 'device' and 'ringtones' nothing shows up. Syncing achieves nothing (well, nothing I can detect).

So..how do I get it from ringtones folder into the iphone and then how do I get it to be my ring tone.
XBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:19 AM   #17
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBC View Post
OK...I'm not there yet with creating this ringtone. I'm totally new to macs and (actually) find them far from intuitive.

I've got as far as having a 'ringtone' folder in my itunes music list. I can see the track in the ringtone folder. What I cant do is get the ringtone onto the iphone. If I click 'device' and 'ringtones' nothing shows up. Syncing achieves nothing (well, nothing I can detect).

So..how do I get it from ringtones folder into the iphone and then how do I get it to be my ring tone.
You can't just put a ringtone in the folder and expect it to work. You have to drag it into the ringtones tab in iTunes or just double click the ringtone. Then you can sync it. Did you read any of the above?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:18 AM   #18
XBC
macrumors newbie

I might be new but I'm not a dimwit.

There is clearly something wrong with that particular itunes file. It won't go into the ringtone file for whatever reason.
XBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 05:04 AM   #19
ramayne
macrumors newbie

been following this thread and it has helped somewhat - however - I created a ringtone, m4r that would only stay in music folder as I could not create ringtone folder. I then synched my iphone and the song came across as a music file in ipod but nothing in ringtones..... have a missed a step somewhere...???? can someone help please...
ramayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 08:01 AM   #20
weenie
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
My favorite method for iPhone ringtone creation is audiko.net. You upload your mp3 song, trim it, and it gives you a variety of download file type links including iPhone m4a/r formats you can then drag into iTunes
Thank you for this...
weenie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 01:43 PM   #21
sadievan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramayne View Post
been following this thread and it has helped somewhat - however - I created a ringtone, m4r that would only stay in music folder as I could not create ringtone folder. I then synched my iphone and the song came across as a music file in ipod but nothing in ringtones..... have a missed a step somewhere...???? can someone help please...
Just found this thread while researching ringtones. Before you drag the m4r file into iTunes, go to preferences\advanced tab and make sure there is a check by 'copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library'. This will create a Ringtone folder for you.
sadievan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 02:41 AM   #22
josue1
macrumors newbie

all you need to do is open itunes go to edit>preferences> check the ringtone box and click ok
josue1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:01 AM   #23
ombrerana
macrumors newbie

latest OS and Ringtone creating does not work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by josue1 View Post
all you need to do is open itunes go to edit>preferences> check the ringtone box and click ok

I get to make the Ringtones folder by double-clicking the m4r file, but it does not show in the folder. Is the reason the Leopard last version? How to transfer the Ringtone to the iPhone4 then?
ombrerana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 09:34 PM   #24
emert23
macrumors newbie

ok this is ridiculous, ive done everything that everyone has posted, ive got the ringtones folder and everything i brought this song from itunes is that the problem? cause i can;t convert it to an AAC Version whats going on please somebody help!!
emert23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:20 PM   #25
dagerman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by emert23 View Post
ok this is ridiculous, ive done everything that everyone has posted, ive got the ringtones folder and everything i brought this song from itunes is that the problem? cause i can;t convert it to an AAC Version whats going on please somebody help!!
If you have the song in your iTunes Library and it is less then ~38seconds long, you can create an AAC version from it by right-clicking the song (if you are on a Mac, hit the 'control'-key while clicking) and selecting 'Create AAC Version'.
Just renaming the file to m4r alone won't make it a ringtone.
Try that and let us know how it goes.
dagerman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting