Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Oct 23, 2008, 02:53 PM   #1
gonnabuyamac
macrumors 6502

Password protected folder in Dreamweaver cs4 (or cs3)

Is there any way to password protect a folder in Dreamweaver? I'm designing a site for a client and dropping it in a folder on their server so they can preview it. I would like to have them have to enter a password to get into that folder.

Is there any way of doing that?

Thanks!
gonnabuyamac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 03:20 PM   #2
X1Lightning
macrumors 6502

what are you dumping on their server? html's??

most likely you wont be able to do anything if its their machine, you could put them in a zip and password protect that.
X1Lightning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 03:25 PM   #3
gonnabuyamac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Lightning View Post
what are you dumping on their server? html's??

most likely you wont be able to do anything if its their machine, you could put them in a zip and password protect that.
I have full access to their server and all of the files. I'm building the new site on my computer, and am loading it through ftp to their server. In the server I have a 'newsite' folder which contains all of the html and css for the site i'm working on. when i'm finished, i will trade out the old files with the new files.

it's not a big deal if it's password protected or not, but i thought it would be nice to have an official, secure beta test site.
gonnabuyamac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 03:29 PM   #4
X1Lightning
macrumors 6502

well you could add a subdomain like http://beta.theirdomain.com that would point to the newsite dir. that would make it seem more prof than theirdomain.com/newsite
X1Lightning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 03:53 PM   #5
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

Generally I've done password protection with Apache with the httpd.conf file so it's at the server level. You could also use PHP and have a login screen for them to proceed from. Depends on how secure you want things.
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development