Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlsbergbeer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
Hello, So I have a 3rd generation ipod from 2004 that I absolutely love. My question is how to connect this to my brand new Macbook Pro? Will it work? I guess the best place to start would be a firewire 400 -> 800 cable. Will this old ipod work with the new software? Thanks in advance for any help.

carlsbergbeer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
Thanks. I think my ipod only came with firewire. But it was four and a half years ago...

carlsbergbeer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
Anyone else still a fan of the 3rd Gen? I never see them. I love how simple it is. Music player. No colors, no pictures, no videos, no BS!

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
I used to have a 3rd gen iPod. In fact, it was my first Apple product. Loved the simple look with white scroll wheel and touch buttons. the buttons were slightly annoying though since they would be activated with static in my pocket, but other than that, it was really a brilliant little gadget with the dock and all that. can't believe i paid 400 dollars for just 15gb of music storage. how far we have come since.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
You should still be able to buy the splitter cable, which has both USB and Firewire cables. This will allow you to sync via USB and charge with Firewire. But all told, you might be better off upgrading to the Classic, it is a better machine in every respect that matters - codec performance, headphone-jack sound, battery life, etc. I also grew to dislike the touch controls on the 3G quite a lot.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The 3G will sync via Firewire or USB but will only charge via Firewire.

One of the USB/Firewire combo cable should do the trick, plug the FW into your power adapter and the USB into the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.