Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nowise

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Hello, I wanted to pass on my experience here.

For those of you like me who have bad credit (charge offs, collections, etc) in your past, there is hope to get an iPhone without a deposit.

I had almost given up and gone to T-Mobile for the G1. Every time I tried to sign up for an iPhone, they requested a $500 deposit which was more than I was willing to pay (IMHO that is a deposit worthy of an apartment, not a cellphone). No one at AT&T was willing to work with me. I decided to try one last time to go into a store and see if the deposit had gone down but it hadn't. This time however, the sales person said that if I could prove that I had 6 months of on-time payments through my current carrier Sprint, they could waive the deposit. Long story short, I spent some time there at the store printing out my billing history and the next day, I had an iPhone!

EDIT: I deleted my location and the name of my sales rep because it looked like spam.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
That is unusual. Having worked for a cellular carrier in the past, we would
NEVER have any option to waive the deposit that the FICO score generated.

But possibly if managers want sales bad enough, they can override it.
Good job.

nowise

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
It was quite a shock to me too, honestly. He actually had to fax all the information to someone at AT&T. The store manager wasn't the one to make the call.

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
i have no idea if this actually happened but honestly satisfactory payment history with a prior carrier should be all that matters, granted my credit was good enough to get any carrier i have ever had without a deposit, but most people put a cellular bill as high priority, especially if it is their primary source of communication, not to mention a carrier just cuts off service anyways once your late.

nowise

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Fortunately for me, this did actually happen. He even had a special PDF for situations like this. I can see that such a glowing endorsement of my sales rep might have come across as a bit spammy. I am just excited to have my new toy :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.