Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
So my dad has a first gen mbp from 06.

According to him, he hada kernel panic and proceeded to turn off his computer. However upon restarting, the computer will not make a startup noise and the display will not work

we tried resetting the pram and smac but to no avail

we inserted the restore disc and we can hear the optical drive work but the noise and display wont work

we also tried hooking the mbp to my monitor to see if it was a video problem but to no avail

another thing we noticed is that the batt indicator flashed green and range every other second.

any ideas on whats wrong?

Thanks guys

KSpider

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2006
San Diego, CA
So my dad has a first gen mbp from 06.

According to him, he hada kernel panic and proceeded to turn off his computer. However upon restarting, the computer will not make a startup noise and the display will not work

we tried resetting the pram and smac but to no avail

we inserted the restore disc and we can hear the optical drive work but the noise and display wont work

we also tried hooking the mbp to my monitor to see if it was a video problem but to no avail

another thing we noticed is that the batt indicator flashed green and range every other second.

any ideas on whats wrong?

Thanks guys

My first guess is logic board

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
so great news. my dad and i went to the apple store and had them do a diagnostic text on the mbp. turns out the logic board is the problem. we did not have applecare and bought the mbp in 2006 however, the genius told us he would replace the logic board for free! he said it cost over 1k to replace it but that he would take care of it

im in shock as we were ready to part out the computer if the logic board was the issue. i really dont know why he said hed have it replaced for free but it seriously made my day!

in addition, my mb battery has been bulging and i asked the genius about it and he said they would swap it out for free! once again im amazed as my mb is not covered under applecare

what a great day at the apple store with great suprises in terms of service. i am still trying to figure out why on earth they would do it for free....we didnt even mention getting it fixed as he offered to have it done for no charge.

owell ill take it! stil in shock!:eek::)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.