Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Novataglio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
Hi all, I see a lot of threads about the screen situation. A few people have posted their calibration profiles but they are mixed in large threads that make them hard to find.

If you want to share your best efforts please post them for the rest of us to try! I have a bad eye when it comes to this sort of thing and I'm sure others do too.

If you post let us know if you used a calibration tool of any kind or just your own two (one or three is also alright) eyes.

Thanks!

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Tried a bunch. Hard to get a true white... My best so far for new MB. I'm sure if I have a few more cocktails, i'll think it's crappy too.:D

Attachments

• Profile #14-4272240.icc.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,440

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
How do you add these files? Once upon a time I knew how to do this, but since I did it and left it alone I forgot.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
How do you add these files? Once upon a time I knew how to do this, but since I did it and left it alone I forgot.

Follow this path to drag & drop:

Attachments

• screen-capture-18.jpg
    screen-capture-18.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 327

applestew

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
To my eyes, I find just tweaking the gamma works real well... Try it, to each his own, you may like this...

Attachments

• Color LCD Calibrated.icc.zip
    4 KB · Views: 860

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Here is the one i'm using

Attachments

• SuperCal-1.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,254

ptsube

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Use Supercal! I just used it, and my opinion of the LCD on the Glassbook went up from thinking about returning it, to, the only reason I would return it, is to get the 2.4GHz instead of the 2.0GHz.

Follow the instructions and ask questions if you have any.

Also, don't use the crappy built in calibrator. If you use that accoring to the instructions, it gives everything a blue tint. UGH! Supercal actually calibrates RGB levels. It takes about twenty minutes, but it could save you from standing in a return line.

Place any downloaded profiles in Library/Colorsync/profiles. Go to display properties and uncheck "show profiles for this display only." THe new profile should show in the left pane.

EDIT:
This is the same profile I posted earlier. I just renamed it so it is not so confusing. It is named JC Display. Here is an instruction guide.

Step 1: Download the attached zip profile, if you want mine, or any profile in this thread or on the internet for that matter.
Step 2: Unzip the file(it will unzip as JC Diplay,this could be different if you are using someone else's).
Step 3: Move the file to one of these strings(it could be different for each person):
System(icon looks like a hard drive)/Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays
or
System(icon looks like a Hard Drive)/Library/Caches/Preferences/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays

If the folder does not exist you need to create one by following these steps:
Go to: System preferences>Displays>Color>Calibrate
The system will walk you through a custom calibration. Accept the defaults. All you are doing is creating a folder. You don't care about any of the settings for this calibration bacause you aren't going to use this for very long.
Name it "Custom Calibration(Delete)"
Close the calibration window.
Now remember the unzipped profile you downloaded? Place it in the folder that was just created.

Step 4: Go to: System preferences>Displays>Color
Step 5: Uncheck the box that says "Show profiles for this display only."
Step 6: Select the profile you downloaded from the left hand pane window. You should notice a difference in the color/contrast/brightness on your screen. You can go from profile to profile and select the one that best suits your needs.
A good way to do this is select a photo you like, and know what it should look like. Open it and cycle through the profiles on your display preferences pane. The profile named "Color LCD"(above the line) is the original profile.

Now, if you had to create the new custom calibration in order to create the missing folder, you can delete that now. Select "Custom Calibaration(delete)" from the left pane. Make sure it is highlighted and select "Delete" from the right side of the window.

If you would like to try your hands at a custom calibration you can use the Apple calibration tool by selecting "Calibrate" and checking the box "Expert mode" on the next window. Or you can download and try your hands at SuperCal. You don't have to buy superCal. But if you find it useful, dontate. Which means you buy it for $19. For SuperCal you follow the steps given by the program.

Attachments

• JC Diplay.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 3,505

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Too blue IMO.

Not enough contrast IMO.

These are all just opinions, everyone "sees" differently.

It does have a blue hue to it but to me the display just has an inherently blue tint to it. Its even more atrocious when you select the Generic RGB profile...that is blue

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Use Supercal! I just used it, and my opinion of the LCD on the Glassbook went up from thinking about returning it, to, the only reason I would return it, is to get the 2.4GHz instead of the 2.0GHz.

Also, don't use the crappy built in calibrator. If you use that accoring to the instructions, it gives everything a blue tint. UGH! Supercal actually calibrates RGB levels. It takes about twenty minutes, but it could save you from standing in a return line.

Place any downloaded profiles in Library/Colorsync/profiles. Go to display properties and uncheck "show profiles for this display only." THe new profile should show in the left pane.

this one is perfect!

Slightly OT but does anyone know how to apply one of these profiles under windows vista? I can't figure it out.

Thanks.

ptsube

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
this one is perfect!

Slightly OT but does anyone know how to apply one of these profiles under windows vista? I can't figure it out.

Thanks.

Your welcome! You can actually modify the Gamma rate of the profile I gave you. If you download Supercal. Then when it asks if you want to start a new profile or you can select an old/current profile. Select the profile you just got from me and go to page ten. You can move the slider along to change the Gamma rate. I have mine set to 2.6. You can go all the way up to 3.0 if you want. That will make it darker. You can move it down to brighten if you want. Then just save you new profile under a different name.

sjc83

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Cleveland

i cant figure out were to put the file :(

ptsube

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
i cant figure out were to put the file :(

Unzip the file and put it in your display profiles folder. As far as I know there are two places this could be.

User/Library/Colorsync/profiles
or
User/Library/Caches/Preferences/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays

I'm not sure why it might be different but the folder should be in one of those two locations.

Novataglio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
Thanks guys! I'm glad this thread showed some life, for awhile I was afraid this would be a bad idea. I like everyone's for different reasons, I'm calibrating my battery so I haven't tried a few of the new ones yet but from the sounds of it I can't wait to try ptsube's profile.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA

Strong work! I like the profile!

You haven't done a calibration of the 24" iMac have you? Now my MacBook screen looks better than my iMac screen!

thespyglass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
Liverpool UK

Wow. Thank you so much for this link, and to everyone posting their calibrations. I was in the Apple Store today and finally saw the 'wash-out' I hadn't noticed before - which seemed to affect some MBs more than others - as I went back-and-forth between the MBs and MBPs. I played with the in-built calibration whatsit but couldn't get the screen to stand up that of the MBPs. And I started getting all indecisive again about buying. I'm so glad that calibrating is apparently improving things. Of course, I only have you guys' words for it and this is mostly subjective stuff we're talking about but still, it's very encouraging, thanks :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Here is the one i'm using

Yes, this is better than normal. When I first used it I said it was too warm. Now I've "warmed" up to it and going back I can clearly see a difference.
Tonight I'll use my Spyder2 Pro to calibrate to see how I fair.

applestew

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008

This is VERY VERY GOOD! The contrast levels just went up and it is not blusish like the rest!

THUMBS UP!

I am dumping my own calibration. PS.... you guys think Apple will bother changing the color profiles of the MB after this?

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
I've played with the calibration and got it much better but I just loaded ptsube's cal and WOW. The screen is perfect now. Sure the view angle is still not wide but with the screen titled right it's great.

Makes you wonder why Apple released it without spending a few minutes doing a decent calibration. All this bad press and unhappy customers could have been avoided.

ptsube

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Strong work! I like the profile!

You haven't done a calibration of the 24" iMac have you? Now my MacBook screen looks better than my iMac screen!
Nope I haven't. But try Supercal it only took about fifteen minutes and it's like night and day.

I've played with the calibration and got it much better but I just loaded ptsube's cal and WOW. The screen is perfect now. Sure the view angle is still not wide but with the screen titled right it's great.

Makes you wonder why Apple released it without spending a few minutes doing a decent calibration. All this bad press and unhappy customers could have been avoided.

Fifteen minutes and they could have saved themselves a lot of bad press.

The blacks are still not black, but I'm happy with it now. It would be nice if Apple came out with a firmware or something that could correct the blacks more, but I doubt that's even possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.