Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Appleinsider posts a vague rumor that Apple may be riding on the success of the iPod and looking to expand into "the home-appliance market".

According to their sources, the new device "is said to exist as its own entity and product, rather than an extension of the Macintosh platform."

Of course, details are absent. Ever since Apple's release of the iPod, there has been speculation on more "digital lifestyle devices". Apple has admitted to working on other projects (Special Projects Group?), but the details are left to speculation at this point.

ant_s

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Derby, UK
iPod deck?

An Apple-branded hi-fi deck would be cool - with Airport Extreme to download all the songs off your Mac or PC whenever you change your iTunes playlist. Now THAT would be cool...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Re: iPod deck?

Originally posted by ant_s
An Apple-branded hi-fi deck would be cool - with Airport Extreme to download all the songs off your Mac or PC whenever you change your iTunes playlist. Now THAT would be cool...

YES! Pretty please?

(edit) And how about a slot to plug in an iPod like an 8-track tape?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I heard it was a kitchen appliance. We will finally get the answer to the famous question, " Can it core a apple?"

ant_s

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Derby, UK
Originally posted by rdowns
I heard it was a kitchen appliance. We will finally get the answer to the famous question, " Can it core a apple?"

Okay then, an iKitchen radio - variation on my initial thought...

And what would the point be in a glowing Apple on the back of a TV set?!

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
I think this might be a smart move by Apple if they play it right. Gateway had a big success with their Plasma screens, and they don't have an ounce of Apple's design and creativity. Maybe a nice WiFi receiver for AAC, as posted above, or a TiVo like box could also be cool.

Surprise us, Apple. But whatever you do, make it FAST!!!:D

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
something like a tivo maybe...i would say that it will handle all the iLife aspects, pictures, music, movies, etc.

i also bet it will have wifi and bluetooth built in.

daRAT

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
PowerToaster

Based on the Mac Cube, thats my guess. With wireless network to your Mac, and a OS X applet for dialing in how dark you want your toast ...

Possiblities yes?

axl69

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2003
NYC-LA
THINK DIFFERENT...

ILAMPS
IBULBS
IFANS...GOOD ENUFF FOR G5 GOOD ENUFF 4 U!!
IOVEN...
HEY, HOW ABOUT AN IFRIG..COULD HAVE A 17'DISPLAY WITH A WIRELESS KEYBOARD..DO YOU KNOW WHAT A HUGE HARD DRIVE YOU COULD FIT IN THERE?!!

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
wait, i already thought they made a microwave. . .
the cool metal look of the kitchen
and it heats up food!!!

oh wait, sorry, that says powerbook, not microwave. . . but still good at heating up leftovers

mainemike

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2003
Bangor, Maine
Originally posted by jrv3034
Maybe a nice WiFi receiver for AAC, as posted above, or a TiVo like box could also be cool.

This would be my guess, too. Note the key words in Appleinsider's description: "an appliance done right".
This would indicate an improvement on hardware that is already out there.

A TiVo type device and/or wireless audio with iPod style navigation and a nice big hard drive?
Hey I'd be interested.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
iRead

I want a book. Can't be called iBook - that's taken.
iRead. One page. I could read Garfield... Harry Potter... Madeleine L'Engle.... MacAddict.... Time... on the can. in the bedroom. hours of reading. no turning pages. no lamp necessary. access books with rendezvous.

I don't suppose it's a kitchen appliance...
What about iOpen? a Can opener? or iCork? a corkscrew? what about iEat. a fork that measures nutritious value and weight of what you eat and then says "you need more carrots."

Hmm... iCook... yes, that's got to be it. No. That'd be an accessory to the iRead (see top). The iRead streams the contents of a recipe to the iSpeaker which tells you what to measure next, and when you're done, you say "Ok, Done" and it tells you the next step. No more butter between the cookbook pages.

Or could it be iBake?? Nah... apple wouldn't associate itself with burned cookies.

iFind? "Where'd it go..." you say... The can opener fell between the fridge and counter Jim! Ahh, thank you, Apple!

iNeed... milk, two loaves of bread, cheese...

iMust say, iSure miss rumors. The rumor scene is always slow right after announcements iGuess. iSuppose it's been a while now though. the mini was about a month ago...

ithink it's time for the rumors to start streaming in.

Oh yes. Indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.