Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonesy85

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
After about a 4 month wait for the new Macbook to be released, I finally decided to get one. I originally planned on getting the pro, but I was really impressed with the mb, so I went with it instead. After messing around with it all day I love it!

I was a little worried about the screen looking bad, but it's lovely. Also, all my keys look fine and there are no loose parts, or anything defective, from what I can tell. I love the OS too. It's certainly different from what I'm use to, but I'm catching on quickly and notice many improvements over windows. But I do have a few questions:

Is it a bad idea to keep it plugged in overnight to download something? I remember reading somewhere that if you're going to keep the computer plugged in to remove the battery, but I think that would get bothersome very quickly because I'll probably be keeping it plugged in the majority of the time I'm at a desk at home. I plan on playing WoW and a few other games.

Just now, when typing this, I came up with a question. When I misspell a word on windows, I can right click it to see an alternate spelling, but I don't know how to do that on here...

Lastly, is there a way to keep the computer on for downloading things, but with the lid shut? I realize these are simple things and I'll figure most of it out with use, but I'm going to bed soon and would like to know the answer to these.

Again, I'm very happy with the purchase. If there is any general advice you'd like to give for a new mac user, I'd like to hear it.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I downloaded stuff all night plugged in on my Powerbook for 3 years. Until I blew up my apartment building. Just kidding. It shouldn't be a problem. As a precaution though, I always put it on a non-flammable surface over night...a slate coffee table, a slab of glass, what have you. Definitely don't leave it on a couch or cushion chair. Or a can of gasoline.

dominordelingua

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
I downloaded stuff all night plugged in on my Powerbook for 3 years.

:eek: Wow!! that must have been a long download!! ...lol...;)

What I'd like to know is if this reduced the amount of battery time when you had the Powerbook mobile and away from an external power source. I'm still trying to figure out what routine makes for a healthy battery. Thanks

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
:eek: Wow!! that must have been a long download!! ...lol...;)

What I'd like to know is if this reduced the amount of battery time when you had the Powerbook mobile and away from an external power source. I'm still trying to figure out what routine makes for a healthy battery. Thanks

LOL.

I was not really a mobile power user. The PB was mostly my couch companion, though it traveled with me many places. I can't really comment on the effects of keeping it plugged in. It always seemed to last about as long as it should. Even if keeping it plugged in diminshed the life, I didn't notice, and I didn't care. I buy computers to use them for whatever I need. Being able to use it any way I want is more important to me than squeezing an extra half hour out of the battery. I was never that far from a plug. And I always had a spare battery.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Just now, when typing this, I came up with a question. When I misspell a word on windows, I can right click it to see an alternate spelling, but I don't know how to do that on here...
Open the application that you want to use and choose Edit > Spelling and Grammar > Check Spelling While Typing. OS X's system wide spell check is vastly superior to Windows'. You can grammar check as well (personally I hate computer grammar checking).

Lastly, is there a way to keep the computer on for downloading things, but with the lid shut? I realize these are simple things and I'll figure most of it out with use, but I'm going to bed soon and would like to know the answer to these.
Unfortunately, OS X doesn't support this like Windows does unless you have an external monitor and keyboard attached. You can alternatively download and install InsomniaX (free) or Sleepless ($9.95).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.