Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylanbrown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
London
Hi all,

I have a late 2007 MacBook (ie, the one before the February performance update) and have always noticed this problem...

When using PowerPoint, and if I do a full screen presentation, it doesn't display in the full area of the screen, it only displays in 4:3.

This is also the same for low-end games if played in full screen, is there a problem with my graphics chip, or is this just normal thanks to the Intel graphics?

BTW: It's still covered under AppleCare until January 09.

Thanks

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
That's probably because your presentation is set to a 4:3 ratio such as 1024x768 or 800x600. If you want a widescreen presentation, you need to set it up that way. Before you enter widescreen, isn't the presentation more of a square when you preview it?

Some old low-end games don't even have a widescreen setting which is why you'd get a 4:3 ratio. But this is someting you'd need to set up in the gfx settings.

Joshua.

dylanbrown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
London
Yes, the slide does appear as a square, not a rectangle. I have tried to quickly look to see if there is a way to change it, but cant seem to find an option for that. Do you have any idea where it's hidden?

Thanks
Dylan.

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
Yes, the slide does appear as a square, not a rectangle. I have tried to quickly look to see if there is a way to change it, but cant seem to find an option for that. Do you have any idea where it's hidden?

Thanks
Dylan.

No, sorry. Don't remember off the top of my head. I'm a Keynote user so haven't touched PP in years. Manual perhaps?

Joshua.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

Thanks
Dylan.

In PPT 2004 and 2008, you adjust the slide aspect ratio via the Page Setup dialog box under the File menu. In either version, you can set the aspect ratio by entering values in inches, a silly holdover from the past. But PPT 2008's dropdown menu includes three settings for screen shows in pixels.

Give that a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.