Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I just purchased a iMac 3.06 24" and am concerned that I am not sure how to install the UPS. Does OSX detect the USB UPS? Or do I have to go and tell it that it is plugged in and install some additional software?

tbsteph

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2006
Arizona
I think what makes a particular UPS "compatible" is a data connection between it and your Mac. I know APC and Tripplite UPS's will work. I suspect the same is true for most of the others.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I think what makes a particular UPS "compatible" is a data connection between it and your Mac. I know APC and Tripplite UPS's will work. I suspect the same is true for most of the others.

I have an APC but the batteries are on the way out and the cost of the batteries is almost as much as I paid for the complete unit. So I might buy another unit when the APC goes.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
You might want to avoid units that are controlled by a serial port though. :eek:
Unless you own a Mac Pro and are willing to install a PCIe Serial card. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.