Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 26, 2008, 09:20 PM   #1
donm3ga
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
SSH Access Denied Error

Hi all, I am trying to use ssh with my iPhone 3G and its not working. I am using WinSCP. I type in ssh root@<IP ADDRESS>, username is root, password is alpine. I keep getting an access denied error. So I changed my password on my iPhone through the terminal and it still didnt work. I also tried using no username and that still didnt resolve anything.

Im on the verge of giving up and just using a premade theme from Cydia.

Please help.
donm3ga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:11 AM   #2
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000
 
LSUtigers03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by donm3ga View Post
Hi all, I am trying to use ssh with my iPhone 3G and its not working. I am using WinSCP. I type in ssh root@<IP ADDRESS>, username is root, password is alpine. I keep getting an access denied error. So I changed my password on my iPhone through the terminal and it still didnt work. I also tried using no username and that still didnt resolve anything.

Im on the verge of giving up and just using a premade theme from Cydia.

Please help.
Did you download Open SSH from Cydia? Also for host name if you put in ssh root@<IP ADDRESS> don't do that. Just put in the ip address.
LSUtigers03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:49 AM   #3
donm3ga
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtigers03 View Post
Did you download Open SSH from Cydia? Also for host name if you put in ssh root@<IP ADDRESS> don't do that. Just put in the ip address.
I downloaded Open SSH from Cydia. I restarted my iPhone. I made sure it was turned on via BossPrefs. I did type in my IP ADDRESS, and not the actual works "IP ADDRESS." Haha!

I don't know why its giving me this access denied error when I know my password.

Any thoughts? Maybe do a restore, rejailbreak it and try again?
donm3ga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 03:03 PM   #4
TheConfuzed1
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Send a message via AIM to TheConfuzed1
Give yourself a quick SSH tutorial.

In the case that you're a Windows user, you obviously won't be using Fugu. Everything else, however, should be universal.
__________________
http://www.last.fm/user/theconfuzed1
Words With Friends: theconfuzed1
Chess With Friends: theconfuzed1
GameCenter: theconfuzed1
TheConfuzed1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 03:17 PM   #5
ajnicho
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
May sound stupid but have you got Bossprefs installed? If you have, have you disabled SSH on it?
ajnicho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 04:16 PM   #6
donm3ga
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConfuzed1 View Post
Give yourself a quick SSH tutorial.

In the case that you're a Windows user, you obviously won't be using Fugu. Everything else, however, should be universal.
I did everything in this tutorial. I am using WinSCP.
donm3ga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 04:17 PM   #7
donm3ga
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnicho View Post
May sound stupid but have you got Bossprefs installed? If you have, have you disabled SSH on it?
I have BossPrefs installed, and SSH was enabled on it when I was trying to connect it. Stated above.
donm3ga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 08:20 PM   #8
TheConfuzed1
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Send a message via AIM to TheConfuzed1
As long as you are entering the correct IP, port 22, and the correct password, I'm at a loss... Are you sure that you're connecting from the same wireless network?

Try creating an ad-hoc network from the computer, and connect to that from the iPhone to see if it makes a difference.
__________________
http://www.last.fm/user/theconfuzed1
Words With Friends: theconfuzed1
Chess With Friends: theconfuzed1
GameCenter: theconfuzed1
TheConfuzed1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:42 PM   #9
donm3ga
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConfuzed1 View Post
As long as you are entering the correct IP, port 22, and the correct password, I'm at a loss... Are you sure that you're connecting from the same wireless network?

Try creating an ad-hoc network from the computer, and connect to that from the iPhone to see if it makes a difference.
Just tried that...no go =(

Maybe I'll restore and start over. Thanks for trying guys.
donm3ga is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad 4 access denied ASimic iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 12 May 5, 2014 07:07 AM
Permission denied to access property 'document' - Javascript error dsproffitt iCloud and Apple Services 0 Apr 3, 2014 02:02 AM
ssh localhost Permission Denied mkw5053 OS X 0 Jul 24, 2013 04:22 PM
access denied sanssavvy MacBook 1 Jul 5, 2013 04:28 PM
MSIE versions 9 and earlier: Access denied error wrldwzrd89 Site and Forum Feedback 0 Nov 22, 2012 07:01 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC