Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

85KB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Bay Area, CA
I have a Jailbroken & Unlocked iPhone 2G, I've applied for the Developer Program and been accepted on July 11, and I'm ready to pay $99.

But I have some questions:
0. After paying $99, will I be able to sell applications or I can only write free apps?
1. After paying $99, will they ship me any sort of package? Or just send me an e-mail?
2. Do I have to do a restore to the phone to add needed files that will make the phone for development?
3. will I be able to test my Apps on my REAL iPhone (Legally)? (i.e.: without modifying any Info.plist file, I just want to be a LEGAL iPhone Dev and testing on an Unlocked iPhone 2.1)
4. And release them to Apple's App Store? (Even if the phone is unlocked and jailbroken)

(Used pwnage 2.1 to Unlock the Phone.)

Thanks!
KB

pashik

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
0. u can sell applications
1. u will get several email and will see new Portal link where u can see wizard to get ur certificate.
2. u don't need to do anything with iphone, Xcode will install provisioning profile automatically
3.yes
4.yes

ur application doesn't concern ur iphone as u create application in XCode.

85KB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Bay Area, CA
0. u can sell applications
1. u will get several email and will see new Portal link where u can see wizard to get ur certificate.
2. u don't need to do anything with iphone, Xcode will install provisioning profile automatically
3.yes
4.yes

ur application doesn't concern ur iphone as u create application in XCode.

Hey pashik,

Thanks for the quick reply :)!

KB

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
0. After paying $99, will I be able to sell applications or I can only write free apps?
Free apps, yes. But you will need to send Apple additional tax and banking info and have all that approved before you can sell apps.

1. After paying $99, will they ship me any sort of package? Or just send me an e-mail?
You will get maybe 2 emails, at least one containing important links required to get any access to the program.

4. And release them to Apple's App Store? (Even if the phone is unlocked and jailbroken)
You will still need to test to make sure your app runs on a locked and non-jailbroken device, as any use, accidental or otherwise, of features or API's available only on jailbroken devices will get your app rejected.

85KB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Bay Area, CA
I was wondering:

0. Is the $99 a one-time fee? Or it's valid for 1 year only?
1. Will they request the serial number (or IMEI#) of my Unlocked iPhone somewhere in the process? If yes, is there a certain risk that I will be rejected (bcz my phone is unlocked and has not been activated)?
2. I read somewhere that I have to restore my phone and install a Developer Firmware. Is it true? If yes, will I be able to Unlock the Developer firmware as I did with the regular fw (i.e.: using QuickPwn)?
3. If I purchased another iPhone (3G for example), but locked:
- Do I have to pay another $99?
- Will I be able to use my new locked iPhone 3G right away for development? Or I have to go through the certificate process, etc...?

Thanks in advance :)
KB

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
0. Is the $99 a one-time fee? Or it's valid for 1 year only?
1. Will they request the serial number (or IMEI#) of my Unlocked iPhone somewhere in the process? If yes, is there a certain risk that I will be rejected (bcz my phone is unlocked and has not been activated)?
2. I read somewhere that I have to restore my phone and install a Developer Firmware. Is it true? If yes, will I be able to Unlock the Developer firmware as I did with the regular fw (i.e.: using QuickPwn)?
3. If I purchased another iPhone (3G for example), but locked:
- Do I have to pay another $99?

Annual fee, IIRC (check your agreement).
You have to provide the UID to Apple for any device you want to officially provision and install your apps on.
You only need to install firmware if want to update to a newer OS, or you are given access to beta OS builds and want to test with them.
You can provision multiple devices per developer account (a few, plus up to a total of 100 devices for ad hoc distribution).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.