Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:47 AM   #1
scottishwatty
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Extreme(N) to express(N) to PS3 ethernet faster than extreme to ps3 wireless?

I am currently searching for the best networking setup and hope that if anything sounds wrong in this description someone with experience may be able to guide me a little bit better.

I plan to :

Buy Apple Airport Extreme (N)
To this i'll have my home server (xp, P4 2.8ghz, 2GB, 1TB) connected with both Tversity & Itunes fully loaded. This will also be connected to my ISP. I am looking to stream music via itunes and high definition videos through tversity to my ps3.

Buy apple airport express (N)
Plug this in behind my home theatre system, with audio out going to my AMP and networking out going to my PS3.

Install apple remote on my iphone
This hopefully will access the itunes on my server and allow me to listen to it through my amp without turning on the plasma.

Questions:

1. Does this setup sound like it will work for music through itunes?
2. Am i right in presuming that going from airport extreme wireless to airport express then cabled to PS3 should be faster than extreme to ps3 wirelessly, and therefore increase my chances of getting smooth playback of HD on my ps3?
3. Would anybody suggest anything different? Cabling is not an option, and wireless distance is only 20ft max through basic flooring.


Thanks in advance to anyone taking time to read this.
scottishwatty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Padraic
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Somewhere between here and there...
My thoughts...

1. Yes, that was what the Airport express was designed to do...
2. It isn't going to be any faster, you're introducing wireless in both scenarious. Wireless is going to be your bottleneck no matter where you put it between your Airport Extreme and PS3, the Airport express doesn't do any type of buffering, that would be left up to your PS3. In fact, it should theoretically be faster to remove the Airport express and just wirelessly connect the PS3 to the Extreme, this would remove one extra hop the packets have to take. We're only talking milleseconds though...
3. If cable is not an option, I would connect the PS3 wirelessly to the Extreme, just use the express for music.

Just my thoughts..
Padraic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:03 AM   #3
belvdr
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraic View Post
this would remove one extra hop the packets have to take. We're only talking milleseconds though...
Is the Express a router? If not, the effect may very well be shorter than milliseconds. Either way, it's not anything that should impact performance.
belvdr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:25 AM   #4
scottishwatty
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Padraic, regarding using the airport express and ps3,

I agree that the wireless aspect will be my bottleneck between my airport extreme and ps3, especially as this will give me a maximum of a 802.11G connection.
Surely if i cable my ps3 to an airport express (which is 802.11N), the link between the express and extreme would be faster, and therefore a smaller bottleneck?

For example :

Extreme(N) --> PS3 built in wireless G = max of 802.11G
Extreme(N) --> Express(N) --> ethernet on PS3 = max of 802.11N

Thanks for advice so far.
scottishwatty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:26 AM   #5
itickings
macrumors 6502a
 
itickings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraic View Post
2. It isn't going to be any faster, you're introducing wireless in both scenarious. Wireless is going to be your bottleneck no matter where you put it between your Airport Extreme and PS3, the Airport express doesn't do any type of buffering, that would be left up to your PS3. In fact, it should theoretically be faster to remove the Airport express and just wirelessly connect the PS3 to the Extreme, this would remove one extra hop the packets have to take. We're only talking milleseconds though...
3. If cable is not an option, I would connect the PS3 wirelessly to the Extreme, just use the express for music.
I was under the impression that the PS3 is 11b/g only.

In that case, running a 11n-only network with the PS3 connected to the Express by wire will be faster than running the Extreme in G compatible mode...
itickings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:32 AM   #6
scottishwatty
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by itickings View Post
I was under the impression that the PS3 is 11b/g only.

In that case, running a 11n-only network with the PS3 connected to the Express by wire will be faster than running the Extreme in G compatible mode...
Thanks itickings, i was hoping that my thought process was correct, and your comment reassures it.
Now the fun part, will i be able to stream HD video over this setup or is it time to give up, lol.
scottishwatty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:49 AM   #7
jaw04005
macrumors 601
 
jaw04005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: AR
I recently tried to do this over the summer. However, the speed wasn't fast enough to stream most video. I kept getting buffering problems even with an AirPort Extreme (N) and AirPort Express (N) running in N 5Ghz mode.

I went back to Ethernet, but N had much better performance than an AirPort Extreme (G) connecting to the PS3 via G wireless.

By the way, the base stations were in the same room.
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:50 AM   #8
itickings
macrumors 6502a
 
itickings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishwatty View Post
Thanks itickings, i was hoping that my thought process was correct, and your comment reassures it.
Now the fun part, will i be able to stream HD video over this setup or is it time to give up, lol.
You're welcome.

Regarding the fun part, it is hard to promise anything. It all comes down to how much wireless interference you have and (most importantly) the bit rate of your HD videos.

I don't have any HD videos to stream, but sustaining file transfers above a couple of megabytes/second for extended periods of time is no problem at all in my 11n setup.
itickings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:57 AM   #9
scottishwatty
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
I recently tried to do this over the summer. However, the speed wasn't fast enough to stream most video. I kept getting buffering problems even with an AirPort Extreme (N) and AirPort Express (N) running in N 5Ghz mode.

I went back to Ethernet, but N had much better performance than an AirPort Extreme (G) connecting to the PS3 via G wireless.

By the way, the base stations were in the same room.
Thanks, it looks like im going to have to look at bitrate in a lot more detail, or just have a NAS with both ethernet & usb, to which i can use ethernet to transfer the HD files temp, then use the usb into the PS3 to get better transfer speeds. Again, since this is just theory based on facts, i'll probably have fun getting that to work too.

Then again, if i do this i'll have problems with some formats the PS3 doesnt like. Great. Looks like im talking myself out of stream HD.

Last edited by scottishwatty; Oct 28, 2008 at 11:04 AM.
scottishwatty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:23 AM   #10
Padraic
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Somewhere between here and there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by itickings View Post
I was under the impression that the PS3 is 11b/g only.

In that case, running a 11n-only network with the PS3 connected to the Express by wire will be faster than running the Extreme in G compatible mode...
Oops, didn't realize the PS3 was b/g only... You're advice would be correct then...
Padraic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:26 AM   #11
yrsonicdeath
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I was planning on doing this with a 360 as well. I've read the 360 doesn't play well with the Extreme and the added speed is a bonus as well.
__________________
yrsonicdeath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 12:04 PM   #12
scottishwatty
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrsonicdeath View Post
I was planning on doing this with a 360 as well. I've read the 360 doesn't play well with the Extreme and the added speed is a bonus as well.
Just out of interest, have you ever had the xbox360 actually play HD content over a network?
scottishwatty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:26 PM   #13
soxfan143
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
As a total newb to the site I'm sorry for reviving an ancient thread but I am considering this setup for my home network. Here's the deal. I just recently purchased a Dell laptop, don't blame me lol, and I want to upgrade to wireless N because my signal and speed now where my PS3 and laptops are is terrible and I can't run them at the same time without connections totally failing. My current setup is the Verizon FiOS crappy router with a older Netgear G access point connected to extend the range because where Verizon installed the router for the bridge to the FiOS TV is about 80 feet and downstairs from my gaming room. This setup allows me to at least use one at a time but it's getting old. And the new Dell is dead slow at wireless g speeds. It's more setup for Wireless n.

Now, I have the old 60G PS3 with the wireless network card so I was thinking of doing the Airport Extreme as the access point off the FiOS router and plugging in the Airport express behind my home theater and PS3 and connecting the PS3 to the ethernet on the express. I know the speeds won't be super fast but it should allow the laptop to connect wirelessly to the express and still allow the PS3 to work as well. Correct? Also the wife has an older Acer laptop with a wireless g card. Will that stop working or no? And could I set the Airport express on wireless n only for the new Dell, my iphone4 and airport express/ps3 and keep the old Netgear running on the wireless g channel for her and not get any interference?

I'm not as well versed in this technical area as most people but I get the basics. But this is slightly beyond my pay grade. lol..

Thanks for any help you guys can share.
soxfan143 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New AirPort Extreme and ps3 media server and xbox Squizzles Mac Peripherals 4 Oct 8, 2013 11:07 PM
Airport Extreme and PS3 Media Server Wariq Mac Peripherals 1 Oct 8, 2013 11:04 PM
New Airport Extreme Faster Than Ethernet Robster3 Mac Peripherals 20 Sep 7, 2013 05:17 AM
Airport Extreme issues with PS3 Rocdoc32 Mac Peripherals 1 Jun 1, 2013 04:52 AM
How to setup airport extreme and ps3 ? Che Castro Mac Peripherals 9 Aug 30, 2012 08:49 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC