Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dougens

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
London
I am having problems opening my microsoft office documents from work (PC) on my mac at home.

I have microsoft office 2004 for mac version 11 at home.

They usually come up on the mac as .docx files and the default open is bombarchiver which does nothing but create another zip file that opens into another zip file!!

I do not know what the office version is at work but should i be saving it under a specific type of word/excel etc?

Thanks for any help.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
That's Office 2007. In the interim, you can use OpenOffice 3.0 to open that file.

When you're using Office 2007, if you click Save As, you can save as a standard .doc file (Office 97-2003 format).

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2008
I am having problems opening my microsoft office documents from work (PC) on my mac at home.

I have microsoft office 2004 for mac version 11 at home.

They usually come up on the mac as .docx files and the default open is bombarchiver which does nothing but create another zip file that opens into another zip file!!

I do not know what the office version is at work but should i be saving it under a specific type of word/excel etc?

Thanks for any help.

A .docx is a Microsoft 2008 file version. You can save down at work to 2004, or I am sure there is a plugin out there for Word 2004 to read a .docx file, check the Microsoft website.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Yes, it sounds like you have Office '07 installed at work. In order to open documents on older versions of office, you need to select "Word 97-2004 Document (.doc)" as the format upon saving a document on your work PC.

...Office 2008 (for Mac) can open .docx files.

dougens

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
London
i can't save down at work as often they are sent to me after work hours via email and will be word 2007/8.

i will try installing the xml plug in and see if that works.

thanks for swift replies

dougens

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
London
i have tried using the xml convertor and it opens the word and exel files but there is not text in the tables etc..........

any ideas?

i cannot save them as word 97-2004 like listed above as they are sent to me from work and i have no pc at home.
i would rather not use a free version of anything.from previous experience.

thanks

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
These are the two suggestions that I would make:

Also, if you don't need to edit files, consider distributing via PDF.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
If you can't down save them at work and the converter doesn't work for you then you have two option:

1) Download and install OpenOffice 3 which is capable of opening them. Free but the interface is different and there is a chance of compatibility issues.

2) Buy Office Mac 2008 and install it. Costs money but has less chance of compatibility issues. Still uses a different interface than what you are used to but it is more Mac like so should be easy to pick up.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
If you can't down save them at work and the converter doesn't work for you then you have two option:

1) Download and install OpenOffice 3 which is capable of opening them. Free but the interface is different and there is a chance of compatibility issues.

2) Buy Office Mac 2008 and install it. Costs money but has less chance of compatibility issues. Still uses a different interface than what you are used to but it is more Mac like so should be easy to pick up.
or 3) Run Office 2007 using Windows XP via Parallels or VMware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.