Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
I was wondering if a G4 Mini will be able to stream HD content. For a long time I kept my library (music/movies/tv shows/pictures) on a PowerBook G4 and streamed to my aTV. I recently bought a new MacBook and acquired a G4 Mini. My movie library has grown too large to store on a laptop, so I'm trying to best evaluate my options. Here is my current hardware:
- AL MacBook
- PowerBook G4 1.5
- Mac Mini G4 1.25
- Apple TV
- Airport Extreme N (Fast Ethernet)
- External 320 GB HD
- External 1 TB HD

What I'm doing right now is this:
- iPhoto Library sits on Macbook - syncs to aTV
- iTunes Library for music/tv shows sits on MacBook - syncs with aTV
- iTunes Library for movies sits on 320 GB HD, connected to PowerBook - streams to aTV
- External 1 TB connected to Airport for Time Machine Backups

I plan to sell my PowerBook and move the movie library to the Mini if it can handle HD streaming. Would there be a better way to manage my media? I would love if Apple introduced a media server (updated mini) that could hold a library and easily sync/stream pieces to multiple computers. I travel weekly and want access to my music and photos from my laptop while on the road, but don't always need the full library. Being able to sync computers->server like we currently sync ipod->computer and atv->computer. Specifically like how Apple TV will see everything from the library it is synced to when it is on, and only the synced content when the computer is off...

That's a good bit of rambling, but can anyone suggest better library management for me?

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Since the Apple TV is doing the actual playback, it doesn't really matter what computer you use to store your library. So long as it runs iTunes, you are good. So yes, your G4 mini will work fine.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Just a follow up comment - this is what I do currently. I have a 1.42GHz G4 Mac mini hooked up to our SDTV in the living room, and it is connected via ethernet to a 1TB Maxtor external drive with all my media on it. The media is split across 4 partitions (Software, Music, Movies and TV Shows). Most of the stuff I have is SD but I have an increasing number of HDTV shows. These all stream fine to three other Mac's we have in the house, all running 802.11n.

pac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.