Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheScavenger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Kansas City, MO
I just installed a 160GB 5400RPM hdd in place of my old 30GB 4200RPM hdd. I booted the computer from the Panther install disc one but all that appears is a grey screen with a circle/slash. I've tried resetting the PRAM and PMU and that didnt help.

Any advice?

TheScavenger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Kansas City, MO
I've tried booting up with "C" to boot from the CD. When I do that by clicking on the picture of the install disc after holding down "C", the computer thinks for a bit and then the circle/slash comes up.

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
I've tried booting up with "C" to boot from the CD. When I do that by clicking on the picture of the install disc after holding down "C", the computer thinks for a bit and then the circle/slash comes up.

Since holding down "C" didn't work, try holding down "option"

This will display available devices to boot from such as hard drive, external drive, CD.

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
unless that new hard drive came with OS X installed, you're going to need the install DVD, assuming that the iBook has a DVD reader.

if you don't have the original discs, you're going to have to fins an external 2.5 inch adapter or another mac to clone an OS onto the new drive.

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
Panther Install Disc 1

did holding "option" work for you?

Keep it held down from before you hit the power until you see the grey screen with the CD icon in the middle, a refresh icon on the bottom left and a proceed icon on the bottom right of the screen.

select the CD icon and hit the proceed icon

TheScavenger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Kansas City, MO
did holding "option" work for you?

Keep it held down from before you hit the power until you see the grey screen with the CD icon in the middle, a refresh icon on the bottom left and a proceed icon on the bottom right of the screen.

select the CD icon and hit the proceed icon

I've tried this. After selecting the CD icon it goes to the circle/slash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.