Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I have noticed that when i put my macbook to sleep while iTunes is open, and then awake my macbook after a extended period of time, my ATV will not show up in iTunes.

So i started closing iTunes before i put the macbook to sleep and have not had a problem since.

Before doing this i would have to restart the macbook and the ATV to get it to come back up. Now i just restart iTunes after waking up my MB.

Give this a try if you are having these problems and then post here if it worked. If this does work for most people we can try to get it made into a sticky so that we dont have any more "help my ATV won't show up in iTunes" threads.

davidmeats

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2008
apple tv not showing up!!!

Doesn't help me - my ATV was fine till I upgraded the OS on my macbook pro to 10.5.5. Now the ATV rarely appears in itunes at all, and when it does, it will only spend a couple of minutes synching before it disappears. Found loads of forums with similar problems but no soutions that work. Have tried:

- resetting laptop, ATV and both
- factory restore ATV
- checking ATV connected to internet (can play trailers)
- repair permissions
- turning off firewall (with leopard you can't allow particular ports as in prev versions but I have "allowed" itunes and even tried turning the damn thing off completely)

After the ATV was restored, the ATV software reverted back to it's original version. None of the above solutions made any difference either with the original software or with the latest version.

Help much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

bpsmith14

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
all I ever have to do when it drops out of itunes (which is regularly) is unplug and plug back in my router. I dont quit out of itunes or reboot or anything and it works everytime.

TyWahn

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2003
all I ever have to do when it drops out of itunes (which is regularly) is unplug and plug back in my router. I dont quit out of itunes or reboot or anything and it works everytime.

Agreed. I restart my AEBS and all is well. I just wish I knew why it works or has to be done as often as it does.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Doesn't help me - my ATV was fine till I upgraded the OS on my macbook pro to 10.5.5. Now the ATV rarely appears in itunes at all, and when it does, it will only spend a couple of minutes synching before it disappears. Found loads of forums with similar problems but no soutions that work. Have tried:

- resetting laptop, ATV and both
- factory restore ATV
- checking ATV connected to internet (can play trailers)
- repair permissions
- turning off firewall (with leopard you can't allow particular ports as in prev versions but I have "allowed" itunes and even tried turning the damn thing off completely)

After the ATV was restored, the ATV software reverted back to it's original version. None of the above solutions made any difference either with the original software or with the latest version.

Help much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry this doesn't help you. When I first started having this problem i would restart the ATV and still would get nothing. ALTHOUGH i would restart my macbook and it would work. the fix i posted above, for me, just prevents me have to restart my computer everytime. sorry that it doesnt help you.

What is strange to me is why there is a different fix for different people...:confused:

davidmeats

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2008
Well my problem is slightly different because it is not triggered by my notebook going to sleep; it just happens anyway.

Unfortunately I don't have airport express, just the run-of-the-mill router that came from my broadband provider.

It's amazing how many people seem to have similar problems on various forums. Currently my ATV only works when my laptop is also on (via airtunes), otherwise it is a useless shiny white paperweight next to my tv.

Maybe I could try reverting back to the earlier version of my notebook operating system - it was the upgrade to 10.5.5 that triggered the problems. Anyone know how to do this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.