Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Changepoint

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
We are a two Mac family so we have two itunes libraries but just the one ATV. Is it possible to stream music to the ATV from both iTunes libraries?

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
yes

you can sync up to 5 computers per ATV. not hard to do at all either. Just go into your mac or pc's itunes and go to preferences>sharing>share all. this will let you share movies and music, and photos(i think you can share photos as well). And yes you can have both mac and pc's connected to the same ATV. My wife has her PC and i have my macbook connected and it runs great.

Changepoint

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
you can sync up to 5 computers per ATV. not hard to do at all either. Just go into your mac or pc's itunes and go to preferences>sharing>share all. this will let you share movies and music, and photos(i think you can share photos as well). And yes you can have both mac and pc's connected to the same ATV. My wife has her PC and i have my macbook connected and it runs great.

I tried that and the apple tv still won't show up on the other computer. i followed steps on the apple site which instructed me to go into the sharing section in system preferences and click on the firewire tab to enable sharing, but there is NO firewire tab in sharing! I was thinking back and wondering if the atv came with an installation disc and that maybe I should run that on the 2nd computer but i dont think it did and there are no downloads for the atv on the apple site. i'm so stuck!

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
did you define the other computer on the ATV? settings-> computers?

i don't think you need file sharing to be turned on for ATV.

also, you can only "sync" one computer. you can stream from 4 others.

Changepoint

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
did you define the other computer on the ATV? settings-> computers?

i don't think you need file sharing to be turned on for ATV.

also, you can only "sync" one computer. you can stream from 4 others.

great, I defined like you said, thanks for your help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.