Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesRoyston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
I changed my last name on my user name account and when I restarted my computer, it's the default dock, my iPhoto is blank, contacts in Address Book gone...all my files seem to be there, but all my preference are GONE! Please someone let me know how to get it back! Thanks in advance...

JesRoyston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
I just changed my last name in System Preferences. It didn't get me any message not to! It wouldn't let me change my ShortName though. Now I have a folder on my computer with my shortname (and the "house" icon next to it) and another regular blue folder with my new name and all my files. Does that make sense?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you look in the User Folder, the old account should still be there as a folder.

Likely all you did was create a new user, or unlink the old account from the changed user name depending on how you did it.

Follow the above link to correct the issue.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Anyone out there?? Please help!! :)
Follow the advice that you have been given. You cannot accidentally lose data by changing an account name. You can't even lose data by removing an account. Removing data from an account requires an affirmative decision on the part of the Administrator--that's you. You will find your old account directory (folder) in /Users/.

JesRoyston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
I did try the support off the Apple website, but to no avail :(

I do see both folders (the original short name with my house and a new folder that I renamed) but I can't seem to find a way to get back to my old user. There is only one on the account.

mongaylord

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
I think the same thing happened to me

I wanted to change the username on my mac and so I did. But then I also changed the home directory and the UUID [I wasn't sure what I was doing and if it all changed the name]. Then I restarted my laptop and found out everything was gone: files, folders, pictures, important documents, music etc. EVERYTHING. What should I do?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
As before, by renaming the user account, you have simply removed the link between the folder where your user domain was and your current user account.
OS X has created a new set of folders (empty) for your user account, as it could not find a domain at the expected filepath for the current (new) user.

Your old domain will be in /Users.

You can always restore all your user data from your backup, in any case, can't you? Because you have a backup. Particularly if you decide to go tinkering with critical parts of the OS and you're not entirely sure what you're doing. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.