Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Somebody gave me a 16GB iPhone 3G two days ago. The why and the how would be a bit of a long story, but I'm trying to get some some use out of the thing now.

As this is my first iPhone, I'm not all that familiar with all the things that should or should not be on there. I do know that it came preinstalled with cydia and installer, and there's a Gevey-3G SIM card next to my own SIM card (China Mobile, for whatever that's worth).

The problems I'd like to solve right now are the following:

I can't use iTunes when my iPhone has a SIM card in it. It gives the error message "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported." It does seem to recognize the phone when there's no SIM present.

It seems I'd only be able to sync with one computer. Really? Are there ways around this? I'd just like to be able to put some podcasts on the thing at the office as well as at home.

macbookhamburg

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
you can only sync it with one computer as far as I know ...

and since you can´t really unlock the 3g right now the only sim card you can use is one from the provider the iphone came from or you need to buy a turbo sim or something like that but they are working on a software unlock

Tucko

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2008
"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported"

Hi Zaan,

I had similar problems with my iPhone. i desperately needed to unlock my new 3G iPhone and tried different sim cards like yessim and i-smartphone sim. But was not satisfied att all as many options didn't work. What's the point of an iPhone if it does not work fully?
After I spent some money on this cards :mad: I went to http://www.iphone-sim-unlock.com/3G.html after a friend recommended them to me. With their sim card I had finally solved this stupid problem and now i can use iTunes without any problem :)

I am just wondering did someone else had similar problems with different sim cards? I've read something about the problems with different couriers, apparently many unlocking simcards work better in Europe than in USA.

TheBold

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
The best turbo sim so far is the GEVEY-3G....wonderful.

to sync the phone, put it on flight mode...it will.

Zaan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Thanks for the replies. A little disappointing though, the only option I have now to sync is to turn off line to the outside world. Just hope nobody'll call me while I'm syncing.

Honestly, I don't know why so many people put up with this crazy restrictive crap.

highvoltag3

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
How are you doing it?

I've tried all of these:
# Jailbreak it using the pwn tool. It will void your warranty.

# Take out your non-AT&T sim card and then sync or put an AT&T card

# Turn on Airplane mode to fool iTunes.

Airplane mode used to work for me not anymore (Genvey 3G is the one I use)

How are you syncing Zaan I mean what are the steps to turn off the line? or what ever you said LOL:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.