Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eliteneo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Hey
I just bought the New Macbook 2.4 GHZ
and when i went to play the halo demo the radar is just white... it only happens when i play.... is the new computer at fault or?
and where can i buy the full game of halo 1 ? cause the apple doesn't carry it
and where in general can i buy apple games besides the apple store?
so it was the same problem that this person had
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/365128/
but i didn't see a fix?

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
The demo is PPC only, but as for Halo 1 itself it is no longer sold as new. You might be able to find a used copy, or a surplus one somewhere.

Spartan117

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2008
Halo on Macintosh

I need to know if Halo can be downloaded, played, whatever on a mac without the requirement of buying a disk. I also need to know if this is possible, what application i need to open it with.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I need to know if Halo can be downloaded, played, whatever on a mac without the requirement of buying a disk. I also need to know if this is possible, what application i need to open it with.

Illegally, sure, but good luck playing online if you take that route. You can play Halo without a disk, but you have to install Halo via the disk first. The download is available here. To the OP: looks like there are three copies available here at Amazon, but they're not cheap.

eliteneo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
so there is no fix for the problem? and i take it the computer is at fault then?
anyone know a store that sells mac games?

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
There is no fix for the problem, and it's really the fault of neither system nor software, just the fact that the demo has not been made a Universal Binary. If you see that Amazon link there are some copies available, but they're quite expensive.

havokslug

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2008
Seattle
You can only buy it used!

Microsoft yanked the licensing for the game, so it can no longer be sold new.

Once you get a used copy, you can buy the Universal Binary so it will work on a Intel Mac.

http://www.macgamestore.com/detail.php?ProductID=616

It is very pricey used. I sold mine for $75 on Ebay, good luck.

Also, they updated the PC version a little while back, but not the Mac, so i hear the servers are pretty desolate for online play.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Also, they updated the PC version a little while back, but not the Mac, so i hear the servers are pretty desolate for online play.
I wouldn't know about that, I logged on a couple days ago and saw well over a hundred servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.