Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AquaMethod

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I had the infamous yellowing issue with my previous MacBook Pro. My new one (a 9C84) definitely doesn't have it, but I can tell that the bottom third or so is a touch lighter than the rest of the screen. It's not easy to see, but if I use a gradient background or watch as I move my windows around, I can notice it. It doesn't bother me, but it is curious: is this just a symptom of LED displays?

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
I had the infamous yellowing issue with my previous MacBook Pro. My new one (a 9C84) definitely doesn't have it, but I can tell that the bottom third or so is a touch lighter than the rest of the screen. It's not easy to see, but if I use a gradient background or watch as I move my windows around, I can notice it. It doesn't bother me, but it is curious: is this just a symptom of LED displays?

Yeah I also notice this. I have the 9C85 panel. Doesn't really bother me either. Like you said, at least it's not yellow!!! :D

AquaMethod

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Has anyone else noticed this? I'm just curious if it's a defect or inherent in LED backlighting. The easiest way to see the difference is to drag the top of a Safari window from the top of the screen to the bottom and notice the color of the browser chrome.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Are you sure that what you're seeing is not actually a color shift due to the nature of TN panels? I would think that checking a change in color do to a very light difference in backlighting would be very hard to tell, a color shift due to viewing angles would be easy though.

To check backlighting, you would use a completely black screen with brightness on full and all the lights around you turned off.

Oh and as far as color shifting due to bad viewing angles, welcome to the wonderful world of TN panels :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, only a few tablet pcs currently come with better screen technology, but TN panels are the bane of laptops. The MBP has the nicest tn screen I've ever seen on a laptop though!

AquaMethod

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Are you sure that what you're seeing is not actually a color shift due to the nature of TN panels? I would think that checking a change in color do to a very light difference in backlighting would be very hard to tell, a color shift due to viewing angles would be easy though.

That seems about right, but the bottom always seems lighter than the top, even at weird angles where all of the colors shift. I guess that could mean there's no viewing angle at which you get a completely consistent view?

To check backlighting, you would use a completely black screen with brightness on full and all the lights around you turned off.

Oh and as far as color shifting due to bad viewing angles, welcome to the wonderful world of TN panels :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, only a few tablet pcs currently come with better screen technology, but TN panels are the bane of laptops. The MBP has the nicest tn screen I've ever seen on a laptop though!

Yeah, I've never had a laptop prior to the MBP, so I haven't had any experience with other panels. I just tend to assume the worst and think there's something wrong with mine, specifically. It is gorgeous, though.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
That seems about right, but the bottom always seems lighter than the top, even at weird angles where all of the colors shift. I guess that could mean there's no viewing angle at which you get a completely consistent view?

Yeah, I've never had a laptop prior to the MBP, so I haven't had any experience with other panels. I just tend to assume the worst and think there's something wrong with mine, specifically. It is gorgeous, though.

TN panels have very limited viewing angles, on a laptop with a 15" screen you probably can't get a very consistent viewing angles.

Like I said, if you want to test the uniformity of the backlight system, get a completely black screen, turn the brightness all the way up, and turn all the lights around you off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.