Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
i'm trying to install boxee on my ATV. i have a 4GB flash drive, but the only bootable discs i have are the OEM tiger and leopard. both are over 4GB and das boot won't let me use either for my flash drive. is there something i can download off the web or that i can purchase for a minimal cost? what is everyone else using. sorry if this an elementary question. i tried to search, but came up with nothing.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
nate, i realize that i need the atv creator software, but the flash drive has to be bootable in the first place. this is where i need assistance.

TagMac

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
For most usb flash drives, all you need to do is go to disk utility and format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). That should make it bootable.

Then run the ATVUSB program.....

They way that only some USB drives seem to work, my 4GB generic brand worked fine.

Good luck! It's worth it, boxee works really nicely on the mac. But make sure you update it and the bootloader (there are several updates in total).

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
i'm trying to install boxee on my ATV. i have a 4GB flash drive, but the only bootable discs i have are the OEM tiger and leopard. both are over 4GB and das boot won't let me use either for my flash drive. is there something i can download off the web or that i can purchase for a minimal cost? what is everyone else using. sorry if this an elementary question. i tried to search, but came up with nothing.

There are lots of contradictory trhreads about working vs. non-working USB sticks. Generally, any stick larger than 1 GB is prone to cause issues.
PM me if you need a working stick.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
thanks all. i have a 4GB kingston. it looks like this is a stick that won't work. i'll have to get another stick and try again.

Dejavu

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Guys, I used a USB Card reader and it worked. :D

Dynex All-in-One Card reader/writer (DX-CR121) and PNY Compactflash 1GB card.

prettyinpink916

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
Help!

I just bought a DX-CR121 all in one card reader and the application install disk is too small and will not fit into my CD slot... What should I do??!?! I spent money on this product and I cant use it on my mac... does anyone know what I could do to get this information onto my computer so I can use my card reader with my mac?

thanks!

uva25

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
You may want to check out this list for sticks that work or don't:

http://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=1240

It doesn't seem to be updated too often, so check the posts in the thread as well.

I did the erase of a San Disk Cruzer micro 2GB and copied the atv -usb creator file to the USB and followed the instruction. It seemed to work for awhile until the end of the install when I got the following error:

nable to partition device: Started partitioning on disk disk6
Creating partition map

Partitioning encountered error on disk disk6: Could not unmount disk (-10000)
Could not unmount disk for zeroing
partition_disk failed
Failed! (0:00:11)

Any advice would be appreciated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.