Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlamin517

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
What is the purpose of using iWork. Office is more widely used than iwork. I am assuming that iwork documents only work on a mac so what exactly would you use iwork for? Maby if you are doing a presentation with just a projector and dont need the file on someone elses computer?

Im just trying to figure out where you would use iwork documents because almost everyone has a pc

I know iwork looks ALOT better than office presentation wise.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
What is the purpose of using iWork. Office is more widely used than iwork. I am assuming that iwork documents only work on a mac so what exactly would you use iwork for? Maby if you are doing a presentation with just a projector and dont need the file on someone elses computer?

iWork allows you to export your documents in Office Compatible formats.

For most of my needs, iWork is fine-and I bought a 5 license pack on ebay for $50.

The numbers application in iWork is more limited (especially with Macros) than Excel. Not surprising since Excel has been in development for 20 years or more.

However, I use Numbers frequently with documents from work (I am a CPA) and it works on nearly everything I have tried.

b1u3b0y

Mar 24, 2008
I's true that iWorks has the option of exporting projects in Microsoft format and PDF...but the other reason i would choose iWorks over Microsoft Office is because it was built for Mac and not ported over from Windows. Any Microsoft product you install on your Mac will scatter files to different places on ur hdd just like on a Windows PC...A mac product on the other hand keeps everything compacted away in it's Application program which makes it easier to get rid of everything if you ever choose to delete it. Anyways I suggest I works over Microsoft Office anyday! I hope my opinion could help...and remember it's just my opinion..!

chilipie

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Englandshire
Excel > Numbers
but
Pages > Word + Publisher
Keynote > Powerpoint

I have iWork but not Office on here, and have been perfectly happy with it.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
i feel office is 100x better than iwork.

heck, if you have to share documents, office is the ONLY way to go. iwork's export feature does not work well

i just cant reccomend iwork to anyone who really needs an office suit and esp to anyone who has to SHARE files

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
well I would say that excel is the clear winner for raw power but numbers is much 'easier' and prettier to use

word and pages the same really and key note is a cracker!

d:apple:

gonyr

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
Niagara County, NY
I prefer office for the simple reason that I often have to switch between both machines at work. Office is on all the machines, while iwork is only on the macs. It's easier to get into the habits/shortcuts for one program instead of two

BayouBengal

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Houston,TX
iWork only cost me $55 at Fry's for a legit copy. Of course if you need absolutely 100% no questions asked compatibility then perhaps Office is the better choice for you. It's all about what suits your needs.

acxz

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
I always preferred iWork to Office 2008, but when CrossOver was made free for a day last week I used it to install Office 2007, and now I use that. Even in CrossOver, it actually has better performance than Office 2008 lol. just goes to show how much effort Microsoft put into 08.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
why pages is better than word

I am a university student and I have found Pages to offer a key feature that Word can't match. The "comments" feature in Pages lets me input an instructor's power point slide directly into pages and then I can add comments from his or her lecture and they appear neatly on one side. Word X cannot do this, and I've seen the later series of word kinda do this, but it doesen't look as neat and organized as pages. Furthermore, say a teacher is commenting on the entire paragraph. I just highlight the entire paragraph, click comment, and the entire paragraph is highlighted and then a line goes to the side where I have a neat square that expands as I type in my comment. Then if the instructor focuses on a specific word (like why does the author use the word 'focus' in this sentence), I can make a second comment, and that word is highlighted a little darker and it gets it's own comment box right below the paragraph's comment box. my notes are extremely well organized.

Then there's the less crashy program, the 79 dollar price, and the better looks of the UI, but whatever.

gospel9

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned OneNote.
This is, in my opinion, the most thing Microsoft's ever made.

OneNote is the *only* reason that I have a Windows laptop with me, along with my Macbook.

Whether you need to jott down webpages, articles, or just keeping notes to yourself (Read: the notes are made for yourself and not meant for publishing or other people, so you can organize it however you want it and without having to worry about formatting among other things) OneNote is the one solution to all of that. You can even customize the every little button if you like, and tell it to learn auto-correct words to simplify the typing.

I am just starting to use Fusion to open Windows+OneNote on my new Macbook, but what's really lacking is that when you Copy an article on the web with pictures and links and formatting in your Firefox/Safari on the Mac, it dosen't do the full parsing/interpreting/clipping like it does on the Windows. The only way to go around this is to open a Browser inside Fusion.

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned OneNote.
This is, in my opinion, the most thing Microsoft's ever made.

Well OneNote actually is something like Stickies or some similar apps.

I prefer iWork to answer your question. I mean Presentation and Pages are awesome! But i have used excel or numbers only one time in my life so i don't know for sure which one is better...

thevibesman

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
I's true that iWorks has the option of exporting projects in Microsoft format and PDF...but the other reason i would choose iWorks over Microsoft Office is because it was built for Mac and not ported over from Windows. Any Microsoft product you install on your Mac will scatter files to different places on ur hdd just like on a Windows PC...A mac product on the other hand keeps everything compacted away in it's Application program which makes it easier to get rid of everything if you ever choose to delete it. Anyways I suggest I works over Microsoft Office anyday! I hope my opinion could help...and remember it's just my opinion..!

While I'm not usually someone to endorse Microsoft (was joking with another composer friend the other day that now that he has a Mac he should be using AIFF files in his ProTools projects no WAVE on principle), just to be fair I thought I would correct some of this.

I don't know for sure about now, but around the turn of the century (first time I've said that I think) the Mac Business Unit was developing the Mac version of office independently from the Windows version with their only communication really being about file format compatibility. If you compare the Mac and Windows versions of Office you will see that the interface and features are not the same so while there may be some related code brought over from Windows for Office 98, it really isn't a port. Don't forget, Word and Excel were originally written for the Macintosh and ported to Windows/DOS.

I don't have iWork installed at the moment so I can't speak for that for sure, but hardly any software you install will keep everything in the .app package. Many programs I use (Apple software included, e.g. iLife) will put the application in your Applications folder and more support files in your local user folder and/or your root level user folder--so I really don't think that is a reason to use one over the other.

Now not that I use iWork, there are a few good reasons I would list to use it: price, you prefer cocoa software on principle (I assume iWork is a little more efficient), you like to avoid Microsoft on principle, or you like the iWork interface better (I know people who switched to pages after many years of Word for that reason). Since iWork can save Office compatible files, any one of those reasons might be enough to use iWork. On the flip side, I've read that there are some more specific Office file format stuff that will not always import correctly into iWork (keep in mind, I only hear this from word of mouth, haven't experienced it myself). File compatibility is one reason why I stuck with Office, but it is mainly Excel--while I don't think Excel was worth giving Bill access to prototype Macintoshes, I've been using it since the mid-80s on a Mac Plus and don't see Numbers as offering anything to me. Now, little Word bugs have bothered me and made me think about using Pages, so maybe in a few years once the software has grown a little more I may give it another chance.

EDIT: In addition to being a composer/musician, I also do some development I think Microsoft's proprietary practices are bad for developers and users, so in general I would try to avoid their products I suppose (sadly, I've got Windows in a VM for testing, Office, and Silverlight, so unlike my personal boycott in the 90s using Claris Works, I'm kind of stuck). But man, from when I used to do web stuff, I REALLY hate IE. Just had to throw that in so I don't feel guilty since I suppose this sounds like a Microsoft endorsement.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
Why no upgrade

All this being said, why no upgrade? I mean c'mon throw a man a bone here. Even if it's 10% cheaper, it'd be nice to be rewarded for loyalty.....

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I've found an alternative to both iWork and Office: OpenOffice.

I'll never buy a Microsoft Office product again.

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
I don't know for sure about now, but around the turn of the century (first time I've said that I think) the Mac Business Unit was developing the Mac version of office independently from the Windows version with their only communication really being about file format compatibility. If you compare the Mac and Windows versions of Office you will see that the interface and features are not the same so while there may be some related code brought over from Windows for Office 98, it really isn't a port.

Just to clarify a few things here ...

The Macintosh Business Unit is in a separate division from the Windows Office unit, but that doesn't mean that we don't communicate with the WinOffice team. We certainly talk about way more than file format! I'm in contact with my peers on other teams frequently, and that holds true for the rest of the MacBU as well.

The Mac and Windows PowerPoint teams are especially close. Both teams are in our Mountain View, California, campus -- our offices are on the first floor of one, their offices are on the second floor. My team often runs upstairs if they have a question about something they've done, and I see people from the Windows PowerPoint team walking by my office to talk to me or one of my co-workers every day. Other app teams have similar great lines of communication, but they're not in quite as close proximity to each other.

Don't forget, Word and Excel were originally written for the Macintosh and ported to Windows/DOS

Actually, PowerPoint and Excel are the apps that came out for Mac first. :) In fact, one of the original PowerPoint developers is still with MacBU -- that's more than 20 years of being a Mac developer!

Regards,
Nadyne.

thevibesman

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Thanks for correcting me Nadyne! I guess after a few days of very little sleep on some projects I forgot to mention that I was trying to remember stuff I read 6 or more years ago about the Office <-> Apple relationship. I guess my only point was that Mac Office is much more than a Windows port, so maybe I should have just said that and avoided the details ;) I think you guys do a great job making Mac-oriented products and I suppose it would be silly to think you existed in your own isolated world.

Very cool to hear about PowerPoint, seeing that I was in preschool when I was using a Mac Plus, my parents were the ones who bought the software and Excel was my only Microsoft experience in the 80s (good old pie charts of types of fish in my fish tank).

I'm usually much more careful making clear when I'm talking facts and when I am saying things I *think* are true--good thing someone was here to straighten me out with the true story.

---
On the upgrade note, that is too bad. What bums me out is that Apple doesn't offer an upgrade price if you use the student license of Aperture--seems odd since they do for some other software.

P.S. It is nice to see Microsoft employees hanging out in such a Microsoft un-friendly environment :D (and yes, regardless of my feelings about some business practices, I do think your guys do deserve you real name and it bugs me when I see the $ version, especially due to Apple's revenue : sales ratio)

Kyouya

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2008
I have both, went with iwork first but simply couldn't adjust after 10+ years with office. iWork is good I suppose but Office, especially excel is better(and that's what I use the most).
In my opinion:

Word > Pages
Excel > Numbers
Keynote > Powerpoint

trix03

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2005
i'm using google docs via fluid.app

works allright for me but i do basic processing for papers.

that's the future, i tell ya;-)

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
I may try open office out....

I may try open office... Is it buggy? Does the pages/word equivelent have a "comment" feature? Does it look nice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.