Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emericaskater06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
whenever i try to make a ringtone for my iphone in garageband, i always run into the same problem

Ill import the song, pick a section of 40 seconds or less that i want and but whenever i go to put it back into itunes i always get the message that my ringtone is too long and i need to shorten it, even though it is less then 40 seconds.

it gives the option of shortening it for you so i clicked that just to see how short it wanted it and it made it only about 6 seconds long.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
whenever i try to make a ringtone for my iphone in garageband, i always run into the same problem

Ill import the song, pick a section of 40 seconds or less that i want and but whenever i go to put it back into itunes i always get the message that my ringtone is too long and i need to shorten it, even though it is less then 40 seconds.

it gives the option of shortening it for you so i clicked that just to see how short it wanted it and it made it only about 6 seconds long.

I have seen similar, when it shortens it for you to 6 seconds, have a look at the headers, there is a yellow bar which shows the length of the ringtone, drag this across to extend the ringtone to 40 seconds instead of 6 seconds

emericaskater06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
well im trying to make a ringtone right this minute, the ringtone is only 27 seconds long but still when i try to send it to itunes it says its too long and when it auto adjusts it brings it back down to only 20 seconds. this is really frustrating

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
well im trying to make a ringtone right this minute, the ringtone is only 27 seconds long but still when i try to send it to itunes it says its too long and when it auto adjusts it brings it back down to only 20 seconds. this is really frustrating

Just had a look at one I did today

Turn on Cycle region
this will give you a bar at the top to select your region
Make sure this covers the selection you want to use (i stick to 30 secs)
export it to iTunes as ringtone

just tried this again and this seems to be ok

emericaskater06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
yea i use the cycle region button and even after i pick the region that i want, ill go back and trim of the extra music, so there isnt even 40 seconds of music left. ive followed multiple online walkthroughs for this and it isnt hard but it simply wont work for me

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Try exporting to disk instead of sending to iTunes. It'll save the file as a .m4a - just change the extension to .m4r and iTunes will recognize it as a ringtone.

emericaskater06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Once i make the ringtone and export it to disk, will i have to move it manually to the iTunes ringtone folder or anywhere specifically?

thanks

emericaskater06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
i just noticed something

even though the ringtone only shows up as 27 seconds long in garageband, when i exported it to disk and brought it up in itunes it showed up as 56 seconds long? how could this be

nanvinnie

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2007
i think that you might have a open track that extends beyond 40 seconds. check all the tracks and make sure you don't have any open tracks. there might be some loop sitting in there.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I think I know what the problem is. Check to see if in the bottom of the Garage Band window if it says measures or time. It should be time. If it isn't Garage band adjusts the ringtone to 20 measures, which is the same as 40 seconds.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,440
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,444

emericaskater06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
anjinhamarota - it was in measures. so as long as i keep i under 20 measures, i think ill be fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.