Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 3, 2008, 09:31 AM   #1
Nohg
macrumors member

Unhappy iMac Display Half Dark?!

Allright, I have a 24" iMac. 3.06 Core Duo 2 4GB RAM etc etc.

Just now, as I was innocently talking to a friend using iChat, the top of my screen flickered once or twice and then went dark. I am typing on it now, so it is not unreadable, it just looks like the back lighting has gone off on the top half. The middle is relatively light (bleedover from bottom back light?). I have tried playing with the hinge to no avail. After I reset the computer, cleared pram-nothing. Zippo. I got the top to stay lit for about a half second after reset, but it then flicked off again. Do I need to load up my iMac and drag my ass to the Apple Store (it really is quite a task to drive there)?

Here is a horrible cell phone picture (and no, the screen IS dark, that's not a shadow.):

Thanks for your thoughts!

EDIT: After display sleep, screen is 100% bright. Immediately snaps back to half and half.

Last edited by Nohg; Nov 3, 2008 at 09:53 AM.
Nohg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:05 PM   #2
ADent
macrumors 6502a

You can call apple and see what your options are - but it sounds like the one of the back lights went out and you will need it fixed.

You could ask to ship it in, but is that any less effort and cost than driving to the Apple Store?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Nohg
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post
You can call apple and see what your options are - but it sounds like the one of the back lights went out and you will need it fixed.

You could ask to ship it in, but is that any less effort and cost than driving to the Apple Store?
I think I'll just make a G-Bar appointment and get it looked after when I head out for some early holiday shopping.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
Nohg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:01 AM   #4
lak101
macrumors newbie

Same thing with me.

The exact same thing happened to my imac today. I have 3 weeks left on the warranty so i dont know if i should extend it beofre it runs out. I want to bring it to the genius bar but I no longer have the box. What happened to your computer?? did they fix it and was it simple?
Does anyone else no about this problem and why it happens. How does the 1 year warranty work, can i still send it back to them instead of bringing it in to a store.
lak101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:31 AM   #5
definitive
macrumors 65816

is this the 2009 imac that you're talking about or the 2008?
definitive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 01:20 AM   #6
lak101
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by definitive View Post
is this the 2009 imac that you're talking about or the 2008?
2008. why does it make a difference?? does anyone know what the problem is?
lak101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 01:45 AM   #7
sgtbilko28
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lak101 View Post
2008. why does it make a difference?? does anyone know what the problem is?
these lcd panels are either vertically or horizontally backlit.

one of the backlights is on your machine is fraked. replacement display time wooh! your gonna need to take it in to get fixed yes.
sgtbilko28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:00 AM   #8
Simpson-
macrumors newbie

I had same problem

I had the exact same problem as you did. I tried to fix it by restarting my iMac. Nothing Changed. I went on this forum and just put my imac into sleep. took it out of sleep and the screen was back to normal. Hope this would help anyone.
Simpson- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:55 PM   #9
CubeHacker
macrumors 65816

Either the inverter for the top half is dead, or the backlight has gone. Apple will be able to diagnose it and replace the appropriate part.
CubeHacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:40 AM   #10
nathaned
macrumors newbie

Possible Power Problem

I had the same dimness on my monitor as well. It was intermittent and didn't make sense. As a wild guess I plugged the computer straight into the outlet bypassing my ups and the computer lit up like it was brand new. So far it has been holding steady so perhaps it's time for a new ups. At least for me...

---
Yeah nevermind. Sorry I thought it would stay fixed but it did not. It lasted for a while so I thought just maybe.... Sorry folks. I guess I'll have to haul it in for a fix up.

Last edited by nathaned; Nov 3, 2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Not a fix
nathaned is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 01:13 PM   #11
daftpunkstu
macrumors member

just give it to the apple guys, they'll either have a quick software fix or they'll take it for a couple weeks and give you a shiny new display with new backlights
daftpunkstu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac