Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnimalPaintball

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
I have ATV with all my iTunes on it. If my computer crashes, can I use the ATV to reinstall all my music, photos, videos, ets (that was saved on my ATV)?

In essence using it as backup for my music, photos, vides, etc...?

Thnx
mondo

drmikey

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Seattle
To the best of my knowledge that can't be done without hacks or some type of third party software. The :apple:TV is basically an ipod the way it sinks, so if it's not on your computer, it's not on your :apple:tv.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong...

thrasherlife

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2008
this is definitely not easy. I went through this and it was a nightmare. You will have to either hack the :apple:TV or open it up and connect the HDD to your computer. Then you can copy all the media off the disk. The problem is, the :apple:TV renames all the files. I supposed you could potentially just add all the files un-named back to iTunes since all the tagging is still there but most people like to organize their music. I had to go through an rename them 1 by 1. Real pain! If you're worried about losing your music/videos then do a proper backup.

krimedog

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
I did this while it was hacked for FTP. I redownloading all the MP3s, M4As, and renamed them in bulk with a ID3 Renamer. Didn't take too long and all my file names are perfect. Almost better than before.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I have ATV with all my iTunes on it. If my computer crashes, can I use the ATV to reinstall all my music, photos, videos, ets (that was saved on my ATV)?

In essence using it as backup for my music, photos, vides, etc...?

500 GB external hard drive = £60.
Time Machine = Priceless :D

thinkmark

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
You must have a very small library if you can fit All of your iTunes onto even a 160GB model...

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
You must have a very small library if you can fit All of your iTunes onto even a 160GB model...

What a useless post.

60GB = ~10,000 songs
90GB = ~130 movies (ripped and average 700MB in size)

That is quite a big iTunes Library if you ask me..

peoe2

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
I did this while it was hacked for FTP. I redownloading all the MP3s, M4As, and renamed them in bulk with a ID3 Renamer. Didn't take too long and all my file names are perfect. Almost better than before.

I have FTP access to my AppleTV, where do you guys go to to get the movie files? What's the path?

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
What a useless post.

60GB = ~10,000 songs
90GB = ~130 movies (ripped and average 700MB in size)

That is quite a big iTunes Library if you ask me..

It's all relative... to me a 160gb library of audio and video combined certainly isn't small.. but it's much smaller then mine and I wouldn't consider it big.

... but I do agree, it was a useless point

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.