Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)

Old Feb 6, 2004, 07:12 PM   #1
lazyboy922
macrumors 6502

What does ipod do, exactly?

I know it can store alot of music, but can it store other things as well? like illustrator or photoshop files as well?
lazyboy922 is offline   0
Old Feb 6, 2004, 07:28 PM   #2
Harry K.
macrumors member

Yep. Just transfer 'em and you got 'em.
Harry K. is offline   0
Old Feb 6, 2004, 07:36 PM   #3
fartheststar
macrumors 6502a

Yes, it will store and play music.

It will also store files and act as a firewire hard drive if you configure it properly.

I don't know much about this but: I think new functions that are going to be added to Panther will have the ability for you to have "home on ipod" which has something to do with being able to take your user settings from mac to mac I think.

(I haven't switched to Panther from Jag yet, but that might make me interested -- esp with Safari and Expose...)
fartheststar is offline   0
Old Feb 6, 2004, 07:37 PM   #4
gwuMACaddict
macrumors 68040

uh... can you have your macrumors memborship revoked for that question?

Old Feb 6, 2004, 07:52 PM   #5
lazyboy922
macrumors 6502

It just seems that they market it so much toward how much music it can hold, i just never thought of it being anything more. Even on the apple website they just speak mostly of how many hours of music it can store.
lazyboy922 is offline   0
Old Feb 6, 2004, 07:56 PM   #6
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
It can have contacts, calenders, and notes on it too! Calenders are reallly handy to have on the run especially when you listen to music, you could also play the games!
Old Feb 6, 2004, 07:58 PM   #7
markjones05
macrumors 6502a

Re: What does ipod do, exactly?

Quote:
Originally posted by lazyboy922
I know it can store alot of music, but can it store other things as well? like illustrator or photoshop files as well?

See, this is why apple should make commercials that actually show what their products can do.
markjones05 is offline   0
Old Feb 6, 2004, 07:59 PM   #8
mms
macrumors 6502a

That's because it was meant to be a music player.

However, it is good as an external FireWire hard drive. There has also been rumors of an Apple utility that would let you keep a copy of your home directory on your iPod so you could work "at home" on any OS X machine. I forget what it was called, but I believe it was found on the support pages for Panther.

Rumor was that it was originally an intended feature of Panther that got cut before release.
mms is offline   0
Old Feb 6, 2004, 10:11 PM   #9
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Don't forget...

Apple and Belkin teamed up to give you Voice Recording and Picture Storage as well. Need to purchase the add-on accessories though.
Koodauw is offline   0
Old Feb 6, 2004, 11:44 PM   #10
clr900
macrumors regular

Re: Re: What does ipod do, exactly?

Quote:
Originally posted by markjones05
See, this is why apple should make commercials that actually show what their products can do.
This is so true, I know people who are under the impression that if they get an iPod they have to use itunes and the only way they can get songs onto their ipod is by buying them off of itunes for a dollar a piece. So many people are under false impressions because they are ignorant and then they make false generalizations against apple/mac.
clr900 is offline   0
Old Feb 7, 2004, 12:31 AM   #11
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shard~
Just to echo what previous posters have said, an iPod is essentially a 15/20/40 GB portable Hard Drive. Yes, it can play music, but you can store anything on there that you want. You can sync your address book and contacts on it, play games, use it as a "travel alarm", and with one of those flash readers (or another Mac), you can transfer pictures from your digital camera onto it for storage, to free up your memory card.

It's a great little toy!
Old Feb 7, 2004, 01:37 AM   #12
Horrortaxi
macrumors 68020

I have a complete Panther installation on my iPod. If something goes wrong with one of my Macs I can boot from the iPod. I also use it for backups and still have 1500 songs on it--plus a few free GB. It's a great little tool.
Horrortaxi is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)